TG2703 : The Framingham Arboretum

taken 12 months ago, near to Framingham Pigot, Norfolk, Great Britain

The Framingham Arboretum
The Framingham Arboretum
One of several ornamental ponds.
The Framingham Arboretum
The Framingham Earl estate had originally belonged to the Earls and Dukes of Norfolk but by 1786 the grounds together with the house, known as Framingham Old Hall, had been acquired by Dr Edward Rigby, a surgeon and physician who worked at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Dr Rigby is documented to have planted many trees, including some rare and exotic species, in the area and especially on his estate.

The following information was published in the Norfolk Chronicle on 27 October 1821: "Died, aged 74, Mr Edward Rigby, MD, of Norwich. He received his medical education under Mr Martineau, and first began practice in 1769, when he distinguished himself as an accoucheur, and was the author of a treatise on subjects connected with that branch of his profession. In 1814 he took his degree in physic. Dr Rigby in 1786 established the Benevolent Medical Society for the relief of the widows and orphans of medical men; and in 1789 became a member of the Corporation of Surgeons and of the Medical Society in London. He was assistant surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital on its establishment in 1771, surgeon in 1790, and physician in 1814. For many years he kept a private lunatic asylum; and made constant and unremitted exertions in the cause of vaccination. He wrote several treatises on agricultural subjects, and was in 1820 elected an hon member of the Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture. He was also a member of the Linnaean Society. Dr Rigby was elected an alderman in 1802, Sheriff in 1803, and Mayor in 1805. His remains were interred at Framingham, near Norwich, on November 5th."

After Dr Rigby's passing the estate was acquired by GBL Knight Esq, and in 1848 William Jecks purchased it. The Colman family bought the estate in 1929 and the current arboretum was started in 1986, continuing from Dr Rigby's, by the present owner Sir Timothy Colman and is centred on the woodland gardens that once surrounded a neo-Georgian house which has since been demolished. It covers an area of about 14 hectares. Notable tree species include huge cedars, tulip trees, paperbark maple, a handkerchief tree, Himalayan spruce, and a Wollemia, besides horse and sweet chestnuts, oaks, beeches, walnuts, limes, oaks and holme oaks, hollies, sequoias, Scots and Corsican pine, swamp cypress and much more. A collection of American trees was presented to Sir Timothy by the governor and members of the Mamoruak Trust of the 2nd Air Division USAAF upon his retirement as HM's Lord-Lieutenant of Norfolk.

A string of ornamental ponds created in the 18th century is situated at the bottom of a south-sloping, 50m high hill, and an old rockery is hidden amongst trees just north of the driveway to Framingham Old Hall.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2703, 151 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 21 October, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 22 October, 2018
Geographical Context
Country estates 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2763 0333 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:34.8061N 1:21.5007E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2775 0339
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 5 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register