2000

NY0330 : St. Peter's Church and churchyard

taken 23 years ago, near to Great Clifton, Cumbria, England

St. Peter's Church and churchyard
St. Peter's Church and churchyard
St. Peter's is situated on a bend of the River Derwent 0.5 miles south of the village of Camerton.
There has been a church on this site since the 11th century but it was rebuilt in 1694 and 1796.
The church contains a stone tomb and effigy dated 1510 of Sir Thomas Curwen, "Black Tom of the North", who is buried at Shap Abbey.
Parts of the churchyard were severely damaged by the flood of November 2009 which also destroyed a bridge over an old railway cutting which carried the route to the church. The church had to be closed until the cutting was filled in about 19 months later.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ed Messenger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY0330, 28 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Ed Messenger   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 30 December, 2000   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 30 October, 2018
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 035 300 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:39.3824N 3:29.7932W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 035 300
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 41 times
You are not logged in login | register