SK8025 : Stained glass window, St Mary Magdalene church, Waltham on the Wolds

taken 17 days ago, near to Waltham on The Wolds, Leicestershire, Great Britain

Stained glass window, St Mary Magdalene church, Waltham on the Wolds
Stained glass window, St Mary Magdalene church, Waltham on the Wolds
In memory of Susannah Twells, d.1876.
St Mary Magdalene church, Waltham on the Wolds

Grade II*listed

The majority of the church dates from around 1300 onwards, but there is some Norman work in the north and south doorways.
There is a crossing tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles and clerestory, chancel, vestry, and south porch.

The tower is of three stages with an octagonal spire with lucarnes. The tower has pinnacles and gargoyles.
In 2008 the spire was badly damaged by an earthquake, and the top 30 feet of it had to be rebuilt costing around 100,000.

The nave has five-bay arcades with octagonal piers and clerestory windows above added in the 15th C. There is a tie beam roof with carved wooden figures holding shields, books, or scrolls. The roof was replaced in the early nineteenth century.
The nave also has two 18th-century chandeliers. There was once a Minstrels' Gallery, probably under the tower, and this was removed in the nineteenth century restoration.
There is a Norman tub font which is now located in the north aisle.

The chancel has a richly carved triple sedilia from the decorated period. There is similar carving around the vestry door on the north side. The floor of the chancel once had a fourteenth century incised slab which was moved into the vestry during of the Victorian restoration.
There is a bricked up priests door the south side. The vestry has a north door with some of the oldest masonry of the church.
The altar has a fine reredos depicting the Last Supper, of tile and mosaic from 1872.
The roof of the chancel was replaced in 1836 following a storm.

There were several restorations in the nineteenth century. George Gilbert Scott extended the nave and rebuilt the north aisle wall, the chancel arch was rebuilt in 1875, and the chancel was restored in 1887.
In 1976 the south transept was damaged when a pinnacle fell from the tower in a gale. The area was restored at a cost of 8000.
In 2016 the church was re-floored and a kitchen and toilet were installed. The pews have been removed to create a universal space.

There is a small two manual organ, and the church has several stained-glass windows, including one from 2003.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8025, 60 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 1 November, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 6 November, 2018
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Waltham on the Wolds 
Church (from Tags)
St Mary Magdalene 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8026 2504 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:49.0161N 0:48.6327W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 3 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register