NS3877 : Embankment beside a burn

taken 1 year ago, near to Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

This is 1 of 2 images, with title Embankment beside a burn in this square
Embankment beside a burn
Embankment beside a burn
The embankment enters at the lower-right corner of the picture, and recedes into the distance. To its right (north) is an unnamed burn; just to the north of that is a path that is known locally as the Howgate, for which see Link

To the left of the embankment is a meadow. See Link (in the article linked from the end-note) for evidence, from a pre-OS plan of 1841, that the burn used to follow a different course, flowing through the meadow; the first-edition OS map of 1860 instead shows it flowing along the northern edge of the meadow, indicating a change. However, in 1841 and 1860, the meadow extended further to the north than it does today, and the Howgate of that time was correspondingly a short distance to the north of the present-day path of the same name.

By the time of the 1896 map revision, expansion of the adjacent Dalquhurn Dye Works had seen a railway branch line created to the south of the (then) line of the Howgate, chopping off the northern part of the meadow. As a result, the burn was again re-routed to the south to follow the new northern edge of the meadow. If the embankment shown in this photograph was built to redirect the burn in connection with the formation of the branch line, as seems likely, then it dates from the period 186096. See NS3877 : Embankment beside a burn for a view along it in the opposite direction.

Note that the original line of the Howgate was gradually swallowed up by the expanding dye works. The present-day path called the Howgate runs to the south of the original path; in fact, it is the former course of the railway branch line just mentioned.

In the present picture, the line of low vegetation in the left middle distance is the northern end of a line of trees that is shown from the other side in NS3877 : The line of an old track.
Pillanflatt
The land of Pillanflatt lay between Dalquhurn and Mains of Cardross, and is mentioned in medieval records in connection with the Cardross residence of King Robert the Bruce. See a Geograph article Link for the precise location of Pillanflatt's farm buildings. See LinkExternal link for an annotated satellite view, showing features that are depicted on the 1:10560 OS maps from 1864 to 1938, in relation to the present-day landscape. A path that runs along the northern edge of the meadow here is known locally as the Howgate: Link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3877, 80 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 28 September, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 8 November, 2018
Geographical Context
Rivers, Streams, Drainage 
Primary Subject of Photo
Embankment 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3892 7747 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.7886N 4:34.9268W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3894 7747
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 21 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register