SO8990 : The Crooked House PH, near Gornalwood

taken 2 years ago, near to The Village, Dudley, Great Britain

The Crooked House PH, near Gornalwood
The Crooked House PH, near Gornalwood
The Crooked House was built in 1765 and was originally a farmhouse. During the 1800s, mining in the area caused one side of the building to begin gradually sinking. It later (c. 1830) became a public house called the Siden House, siden meaning 'crooked' in the local Black Country dialect. The building was later renamed the Glynne Arms after the local landowner, Sir Stephen Glynne, on whose land it stood. The building was condemned as unsafe in the 1940s and was scheduled for demolition. Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries purchased the pub and rescued it by making the structure safe using buttresses and girders so as to retain its lopsided appearance
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Colin Park and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO8990, 37 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 21 July, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 28 December, 2018
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Business, Retail, Services 
Primary Subject of Photo
Public House 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 8975 9080 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:30.8992N 2:9.1483W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 8977 9079
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 16 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register