SJ0075 : Canadian War Graves at Bodelwyddan

taken 1 year ago, near to Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire/Sir Ddinbych, Great Britain

Canadian War Graves at Bodelwyddan
Canadian War Graves at Bodelwyddan
It would be difficult to visit St Margaret’s Church in Bodelwyddan and not notice the rows of war graves outside. The churchyard the final resting place of more than 110 men and women who served in the Commonwealth forces during the First World War; the earliest war graves date from the summer of 1916. More than 30 of those buried here were British soldiers, many from Welsh regiments, but the majority (83) served with the Canadian army. Buried alongside them are a Canadian nurse and a member of Queen Mary’s Auxiliary Corps, a female unit which provided logistical and clerical support for the army.

In December 1918, No 9 Canadian General Hospital relocated to nearby Kinmel Camp and remained there until June 1919. In the months following the armistice of November 1918, as many as 15000 Canadians were housed at Kinmel Park. Most had served in France and were moved to Britain to await their passage home. Discontent among waiting soldiers led to several disturbances in Canadian camps across Britain; the worst was at Kinmel where 5 Canadian soldiers died during rioting which occurred on 4 and 5 March 1919. Four of these men are buried here. However, most of the Canadians laid to rest at Bodelwyddan were victims of the influenza pandemic which reached Kinmel in late 1918. “Spanish Flu” is estimated to have killed some 50 million people across the world between 1918 and 1920; around ¼ million in Britain alone.

The red sandstone memorial (SJ0075 : Canadian War Memorial at St Margaret's Church) amid the graves is inscribed: “To the memory of Canadian soldiers who died at Kinmel Park Camp during the Great War. This memorial was erected by their comrades. Their name liveth for evermore.”

LinkExternal link History Points
The Marble Church (St.Margaret's Church), Bodelwyddan

St Margaret's Church, Bodelwyddan is popularly known as the “Marble Church” because of the varieties of marble used in its construction. It is one of the best known and most spectacular churches in North Wales and is a prominent landmark along the A55 trunk road, being visible for many miles (its spire rises to a height of 202 feet). It is dedicated to St. Margaret of Antioch.

The church took just over four years to build; the foundation stone being laid on 24 July 1856, it was consecrated by the Bishop of S. Asaph on 23 August 1860. It is a Grade II* listed building (Cadw reference 1377 LinkExternal link ).

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ0075, 109 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 24 January, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 28 January, 2019
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  People, Events  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DC-G9 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 004 754 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:15.9942N 3:29.6880W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 004 754
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 46 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register