SJ3966 : Shropshire Union (Chester) Canal, Tower Wharf and Taylor's Boatyard

taken 5 months ago, near to Chester, Cheshire, Great Britain

Shropshire Union (Chester) Canal, Tower Wharf and Taylor's Boatyard
Shropshire Union (Chester) Canal, Tower Wharf and Taylor's Boatyard
Taylor's Boatyard was established in the late-1840s/1850s by the Shropshire Union Railways & Canal Company as their major boat building and repair yard, and the majority of the yard's surviving buildings are believed to have been constructed at this time. Originally the boatyard was larger with a slipway building, travelling crane, and rack saw structures all located at the north end of the present site, but these have since been demolished, along with part of the boundary wall. It is a Grade II listed building (Historic England List Entry Number: 1375715 LinkExternal link ).

Taylor's Boatyard forms part of Chester's inland port, known as 'Tower Wharf', at the once busy junction of the Chester Canal with the River Dee and the Wirral Line. The wharf was a major cargo terminal, utilising narrowboats and larger 'Mersey Flats', and was also a starting point for passengers travelling to Liverpool. Many of the wharf's buildings and features have since been lost or built upon.
The Shropshire Union Canal
The Shropshire Union Canal (from Autherley to Nantwich) was engineered by Thomas Telford and opened in 1835. There are long straight sections of this canal which required either embankments or cuttings to avoid the need for locks. Although this was a more difficult procedure, the end route was shorter and the progress for horse drawn working boats could be maintained with (hopefully) no stoppages. The canal (formerly the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) was opened at a time when railways were making serious inroads into the canal companies' businesses.

The current Shroppie north of Nantwich was formerly the Chester Canal, opened in 1779, and has wider locks and bridges. Boats up to nine feet in beam can still navigate this section; Telford's canal accommodates only narrowboats up to seven feet in beam.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ3966, 237 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 25 January, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 29 January, 2019
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Canals 
Camera (from Tags)
IPhone SE 
Canal (from Tags)
Shropshire Union 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 399 668 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:11.6926N 2:54.0172W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 399 667
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register