TF0638 : Stained glass window, Ss Peter & Paul church, Osbournby

taken 3 years ago, near to Osbournby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Stained glass window, Ss Peter & Paul church, Osbournby
Stained glass window, Ss Peter & Paul church, Osbournby
Stained glass window with religious symbols. The only one in the church.
Ss Peter & Paul church, Osbournby

Grade I listed

The Domesday Survey records a church on this site in 1086 in the possession of Gilbert of Ghent the wealthiest landowner on the county at that time.
The present church dates from the twelfth century onwards and consists of a western tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel, and south porch.
The west end of the church is probably the oldest part dating from 12th or early 13th century with walls made of rubble which is 8ft thick in places. The South aisle once extended to embrace the tower but this section was demolished. Most of the church was constructed in 1320 with the nave, south aisle chancel and porch being rebuilt at this time.
The western tower is from the thirteenth century and is of three stages with a plain parapet. The belfry stage has fourteenth century windows.
The south porch, dating from the fourteenth century has arcading above the side benches with ogee headed panels.
The nave has four bay arcades with thirteenth century octagonal piers. At the east end of the south aisle there is a door which once led to the rood loft. Only the lower portion of the rood screen remains at Osbournby.
There is one modern stained-glass window to the north wall.
The chancel has a fine fourteenth century sedilia with ogee arched heads and Crocketts with human head stops. There is also a piscina and aumbry.

The nave has a number of good fourteenth century bench ends with various subjects including Adam and Eve, and St George and the Dragon.
There is a twelfth century tub font with intersecting blank arcading, presumably from an earlier church.
At the south west end of the nave there are commandment boards.
There is a small organ by Harston of Newark, circa 1890.
The church was restored in 1873 by Charles Kirk when the roof was replaced and the east window and pews were installed (cost 1,460).
In 1965 the tower was found to be dangerously cracked and bulging and had to be strengthened. The clock which was removed from the tower face dates from 1740 and now resides in the North Aisle.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0638, 100 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 28 February, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 9 March, 2019
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Osbournby 
Church (from Tags)
Ss Peter & Paul 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0696 3813 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:55.7959N 0:24.6132W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 28 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register