TF4024 : Interior, St Mary Magdalene church, Gedney

taken 3 years ago, near to Gedney, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Interior, St Mary Magdalene church, Gedney
Interior, St Mary Magdalene church, Gedney
The interior of this large church on a 2019 revisit.
St Mary Magdalene church, Gedney

Grade I listed

St Mary Magdalene church is commonly known as the "Cathedral of the Fens".
The church dates from the 13th century onwards, it was restored in 1891. The church has a tower, nave, aisles, south porch, chancel and north vestry.
The tower is of five stages with a 15th century parapet corbel table and the remains of two gargoyles to each side. The lower stages have been dated to around 1280. There is a small stone spire which was never completed. The small pyramidal spire was replaced after an earlier one was struck by lightning. The tower was restored in 1933.

The nave has a clerestory from the 15th century with 12 windows. There are two corner gargoyles.
The roof is supported by tie beam and arch braced beams with a single hammer beam above the font. The north chancel has early 14th century windows.
The south chancel has 14th century windows and under the central window is a moulded arched doorway.

The nave has 14th C. six bay arcades with octagonal columns. There is a Lady Chapel at the end of the north aisle, and the south aisle has a Chapel to Saint Thomas of Canterbury.
The tower arch is 13th century and the line of the original nave roof can be seen plus a further 14th century roofline.
The south porch formerly had a parvis room, although the floor has now been removed.
The nave has some 15th century and 16th century seating in the choir. There is the remains of a 13th century pedestal piscina. The east window has the remains of 14th century glass.
There is a 15th century brass of a Lady with a dog at her feet, possibly Margaret of Goxhill. There is a Memorial to Adlard Welby and his wife Cassandra erected 1605. There are other memorials from the 18th and 19th century.
The font is dated 1664 but probably not from that time.
The tower was restored in 1913, it has unusual clasping buttresses.
The organ is by Cousans from 1935.

Several years ago, heating engineers lifted a slab in the chancel and discovered a brick shaft below. On investigation they found a solitary coffin which was placed there in 1844. Further investigation found a vault full of coffins packed side by side.
In 2006, 29 windows in the church was smashed, including a 14th century window and a fire was started, which luckily did not take hold. Two youths were later found and admitted causing the damage.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF4024, 71 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 7 March, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 11 March, 2019
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Gedney 
Church (from Tags)
St Mary Magdalene 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4027 2434 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:47.9035N 0:4.7448E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register