TG2408 : The grave of Judith Neave

taken 7 days ago, near to Norwich, Norfolk, Great Britain

The grave of Judith Neave
The grave of Judith Neave
Her husband Matthew is also buried here. Most other details are very weathered and illegible.
Rosary Road Cemetery, Norwich
The entrance to the cemetery lies on Rosary Road. This was the first ever non-denominational cemetery in the UK, established in 1819 by Thomas Drummond, a nonconformist minister. The land was formerly in use as a market garden, and presents a broad green open space between the housing areas to the south and the playing fields of the Telegraph Lane schools to the north. The cemetery chapel > LinkExternal link was constructed in 1879 and is believed to be the finest work of architect Edward Boardman > LinkExternal link.

Tragically, the first interment at the Rosary was Drummond's wife Ann who died in childbirth aged 41. The cemetery has a number of literary links. The novelist Ralph Hale Mottram, for instance, is buried here in the family plot. He was Lord Mayor of Norwich and also the last chairman of the trustees of the cemetery before it was entrusted to Norwich Corporation in 1956. Ada Nemesis Cooper, the adopted daughter of the eye surgeon Emanuel Cooper - he has a fine mausoleum here > LinkExternal link - married the novelist John Galsworthy (their family life together inspired The Forsyte Saga). A number of Norwich School painters are also buried in the Rosary as are train driver John Prior and fireman James Light, killed in the disastrous 1874 Thorpe rail accident. A great number of interesting gravestones and memorials, such as the cast iron tombchest of Jeremiah Cozens (d 1849) - it has a lion with a ring in his mouth and a flame on top and bears the signature of the Dixon Foundry of Norwich > LinkExternal link - can be found on the 13 acres (53,000 square metres) of the cemetery.

An extension adjacent to the old part, in the north-east and near Telegraph Hill, was opened in 1924. It was laid out following the advice received from Captain Sandys-Winsch, the then head of the council parks department and the designer of Eaton Park, Wensum Park, Waterloo Park, and Heigham Park in Norwich. The cemetery > LinkExternal link came under the control of the Norwich Corporation in 1954 and it is estimated that about 18,500 people have been buried there since 1821. In January 2010 the cemetery was granted Grade 2 listed status.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2408, 386 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 11 March, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 12 March, 2019
Geographical Context
City, Town centre  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2435 0840 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.6180N 1:18.8074E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2434 0840
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 3 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register