SP2864 : The Collegiate Church of St Mary, Warwick - April 2019 (1)

taken 2 years ago, near to Warwick, Warwickshire, Great Britain

The Collegiate Church of St Mary, Warwick - April 2019 (1)
The Collegiate Church of St Mary, Warwick - April 2019 (1)
While a Saxon Church was recorded on this site in 1086, the later Norman Church dated from the early 12th Century. Excepting the east wing and the Beauchamp Chapel, this was largely destroyed in the great Warwick fire of 5 September 1694, the Nave and Tower (seen here from Castle Street) dating from the early 18th Century.

The Church is open daily, a Guide Book is available and donations are welcome.
St Mary's church, Warwick


Grade I listed

The church was originally founded in 1123 by Roger de Newburgh, Earl of Warwick. He designated the church as a Collegiate church.

There is an impressive surviving crypt with rib-vaulted arches. Those at the east end date from the 14th century, probably related to the time that the chancel was rebuilt by Thomas Beauchamp. It was finished by his son in 1392. It has panels with unusual flying ribs and contains the tomb of Thomas Beauchamp, died 1369. To the north of the chancel is the vestry, with the sacristy above.

The mediaeval Saint Mary's had a nave and aisles with a western tower, with north and south transepts, which remain much the same today.
Off the south transept is the Beauchamp Chapel, begun in 1443. It was completed in 1464, and cost 2481 to build. It was originally detached from the chancel, but is now linked via the Dean's Chapel. It contains the tomb of Richard Beauchamp, died 1439. There are also monuments to Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, died 1588, and also to Robert Dudley, Lord Denbigh died 1584 aged three. Also a monument to Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick, died 1590, and other monuments.
The east window was originally by John Prudde from the 15th C.
The Chapel was vandalised by Puritan troops in 1643, and restoration work began soon after.

The 14th century chapter house sits on the north side of the chancel and contains a monument to Fulke Greville, first Lord Brook who died in 1628.

The nave, aisles, transepts and tower were destroyed in the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694, and rebuilt by 1704 by Francis and William Smith to designs by Sir William Wilson, possibly with help from Sir Christopher Wren.
The west tower is 174 foot high and visible for miles around. Pevsner calls it "curiously tired". It arises sheer from the pavement above an open arch. It was restored in 1885.
Inside, the aisles are the same height as the nave, with all three spaces vaulted and slender piers with capitals of acanthus leaves. The most western piers are considerably more massive than the others, showing that the tower was originally meant to be built there. In fact it was started but abandoned due to cracks appearing.

The north transept has been set aside as the Regimental chapel of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. The south transept originally housed the tomb of Earl Thomas 12th Earl of Warwick (d.1401) and his wife Margaret Ferrers (d.1407), parents of Earl Richard, 13th Earl of Warwick. This was destroyed during the fire

There is a large organ with four organ cases in different positions around the church.

There is a selection of stained glass from mediaeval through to modern glass from 2001. Many of the nave windows are clear.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2864, 1186 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 10 April, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 12 April, 2019
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 281 649 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:16.9294N 1:35.3095W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 282 648
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 24 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register