TG2408 : The burial plot of John Odin Howard Taylor of Pine Banks

taken 2 months ago, near to Norwich, Norfolk, Great Britain

The burial plot of John Odin Howard Taylor of Pine Banks
The burial plot of John Odin Howard Taylor of Pine Banks
The stone occupies a rather large plot and marks the grave of John Odin Howard Taylor of Pine Banks at Thorpe (St Andrew) and Hardingham Grove, Norfolk. He died on 15 May 1890, aged 53. Louisa Harriet Minshull, his wife and the daughter of Richard Minshull Jones of Highgate (d 12 Jan 1887, aged 45), and Rowena Imogen Louie Odin-Taylor (d 7 Jan 1963, aged 90) are also buried here. The family's faithful housekeeper, Hannah Weeds, is buried in Section A > LinkExternal link.

John Odin Howard Taylor was the son of John Odin Taylor and was educated under the tuition of his uncle, the celebrated Dr Brewer, at Mile End School in Norwich, and was afterwards placed with the Rev Francis Valpy, the rector of Garvestone. Having adopted the legal profession, he became a partner with his father in the firm of Taylor and Son who also acted as local solicitors to the Great Eastern Railway Company. In later years he devoted himself to the task of developing the fisheries of East Anglia, and was the principal author, in conjunction with Mr. Field, of the Act for the preservation of the inland waters of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Furthermore, he was an enthusiastic financial supporter of local and national chess, about which he authored two books. Together with FH Lewis he founded the brilliancy prize now established in connection with all important tourneys, and he regularly contributed to the principal tournaments held in the UK. On 5 June 1887, he entertained Queen Kapiolani and the Princess Lilivokalani, consort and sister respectively of Kalakana, King of Hawaii, who were on a visit to England for the purpose of attending the celebration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria, and reputedly played a game of chess with them in the room high up in his folly tower which is still standing and still offers magnificent views.

From the 17th to the 19th centuries, Thorpe St Andrew became a fashionable place of residence for the wealthier citizens of Norwich and was sometimes referred to as the Richmond of Norfolk. By the late 19th century a number of well to do citizens had built large houses in the wooded slopes overlooking the valley, such as a member of the Gurney (banking) family at Beech Hill, or William Clabburn, famous for the manufacture of the so-called Norwich shawls at Sunny Hill, and still higher up the slope stood John Taylor's Pine Banks with a look- out tower > LinkExternal link commonly referred to as Taylor's Folly. John Odin Howard Taylor seems to have had a predilection for high places, as his own burial plot is situated higher up on the terraces.

The property, now known as Pinebanks, passed into the ownership of the Jarrold Family, and during WW2 it was used by the top-secret Special Duties organisation who built an underground wireless station on the premises, which was rediscovered and recorded (by this photographer and Geograph member Adrian Pye) only a few years ago and subsequently listed as a scheduled monument. In more recent times the site had been used as a sports club (the main building has since burnt down) for the Jarrolds' employees, until it was sold off to be redeveloped into a housing estate.
Rosary Road Cemetery, Norwich
The main entrance to this Grade II* listed cemetery is on Rosary Road > LinkExternal link. A gate provides access for pedestrians only from Telegraph Lane East > LinkExternal link. The Rosary was the first non-denominational cemetery in the UK and also the earliest garden cemetery in England. It was established in 1819 by Thomas Drummond, a nonconformist minister. Claims according to which the Rosary is predated by the no longer existing Dissenters' cemetery in Rusholme Road, Manchester, are incorrect as indeed the records confirm that the latter was opened in 1821, two years after the Rosary, although the first burial in the Rosary did indeed take place in 1821. On 7 April 1824, the Norfolk Chronicle reports that it was agreed "that the Rosary burial-ground having been duly entered at the office of the Bishop of the Diocese, and therein designated a general burial-ground for the use of persons of all sects and denominations, shall be invested in trustees on behalf of those who may become the holders of shares, to be limited to 500." The area of land comprising the Rosary - situated at the western end of the Thorpe Ridge and falling gently from north to east and south to west, with a more dramatic, terraced cross slope in the southern section descending from the high ground in the south-east towards the chapel - had formerly been in use as a market garden, and presents a broad green open space between the housing areas to the south and the playing fields of the Telegraph Lane schools to the north. The writer Geoffrey Goreham in his book about Thorpe Hamlet (1972) wrote: "In Rosary Cemetery stone monuments straggle up the slope amongst forest trees and waning sunlight casts long shadows of urns, obelisks and crosses on the maze of winding footpaths". The cemetery chapel > LinkExternal link was constructed in 1879 and is said to be the finest work of architect Edward Boardman > LinkExternal link.

Tragically, the first interment at the Rosary was Drummond's wife Ann who died in childbirth aged 41 > LinkExternal link. The cemetery has a number of literary links. The novelist Ralph Hale Mottram, for instance, is buried here in the family plot > LinkExternal link. He was Lord Mayor of Norwich and also the last chairman of the trustees of the cemetery before it was entrusted to Norwich Corporation in 1956. A number of Norwich School painters > LinkExternal link are also buried in the Rosary, as are a number of railway employees such as the train driver John Prior and the fireman James Light, both killed in the disastrous 1874 Thorpe rail accident > LinkExternal link. A great number of interesting gravestones and memorials, such as the cast iron monument of Jeremiah Cozens > LinkExternal link and made by Thomas Dixon's foundry in Norwich, can be found on the 13 acres (53,000 square metres) of the cemetery. The only mausoleum in the cemetery is that of the eye surgeon Emanuel Cooper > LinkExternal link.

Norwich Heritage have a record according to which the large crowds of people visiting the Rosary in the summer of 1880 led to the employment of a policeman.

An extension adjacent to the old part (referred to as the lower cemetery) in the north-east and bounded by Telegraph Lane East, was opened in 1924 > LinkExternal link on land formerly owned by Isaac Bugg Coaks, and at times used as a grazing ground for the Cavalry horses, and Mr Bullard from Riverside used to train his horses there. This new part or upper cemetery was laid out according to the advice received from Captain Sandys-Winsch, the then head of the council parks department and the designer of Eaton Park, Wensum Park, Waterloo Park, and Heigham Park in Norwich. The Rosary came under the control of the Norwich Corporation in 1954 and it is estimated that about 18,500 people have been buried there since 1821.

To anyone interested in symbols and carvings > LinkExternal link on gravestones and monuments the Rosary offers a rich field of study. The Victorians had a particular preoccupation with death: many houses of the period had a 'coffin corner', a niche cut into the stairwell so that the coffin could make the turn in the flight of stairs, and some houses had a showcase window, where the deceased could lie in state for people to pass by on the street and pay their respects. This preoccupation is also reflected in the art of the period, including the decorative artwork seen on gravestones.

The Rosary also contains 31 Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) graves > LinkExternal link all made to the same design from Portland stone. The prominent circle at the top of each headstone depicts a national emblem or the regimental badge > LinkExternal link. Below the badge are the details of the buried serviceman or woman, commonly comprising service number, rank, name, military deocrations, regiment, age and date of death. Due to the practice of non-repatriation of the dead, Commonwealth servicemen and women who died on active service abroad were buried abroad. The majority of those buried in the UK are for this reason those who died either in military hospitals in the UK, in training accidents or in air raids, or those whose bodies had been washed ashore. Special commemorative headstones for individuals who are buried elsewhere also exist (but not in the Rosary). They look the same as the usual CWGC headstones but in addition have a superscription across the top, marking them as commemorating stones rather than headstones situated over an actual grave. Many other war casualties who are buried abroad are commemorated on the gravestones of their relatives, which can be difficult to spot because they do not stand out like the uniform, clean and well-maintained CWGC graves. All the 31 CWGC headstones in the Rosary are situated over actual graves.

A great number of wild flowers, many of these native, can be found growing in the areas of grassland, and more than 130 flowering plants have been recorded. The lower cemetery (which is the older part) is managed as a nature reserve. The Rosary is also host to a great variety of birds, and one of the best locations in Norwich to observe butterflies.

The first OS map (surveyed 1880/83, published 1886) records three OS benchmarks in the cemetery: by the NE corner of the boundary wall (105.5); by the SE corner of the boundary wall (138.8), and on the SE corner of the cemetery lodge by the entrance (60.5). The cemetery also had a well, dating from before 1878. According to the record held at the National Geoscience Data Centre ((161/p9), water was struck at about 30 metres, through layers of brick earth, sand and gravel, and chalk. The well would seem to have been sealed a long time ago. It was situated at TG 2440 0846 (near the north-south path separating Sections F and G).

The year 2019 is a landmark date for the Rosary Cemetery in that it was established 200 years ago in 1819.

For graves of interest and detailed information about the people buried there, be they members of Norwich's thriving Victorian merchant community, leaders of industry, bankers, eminent surgeons, painters, writers, preachers, or ordinary working people - they all have a story to tell - see my article. LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2408, 2554 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 6 May, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 7 May, 2019
Geographical Context
City, Town centre  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2446 0842 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.6260N 1:18.9056E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2445 0842
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 26 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register