TG1728 : Wall Memorial, St Andrew's church, Blickling
taken 5 years ago, near to Blickling, Norfolk, England
Wall Memorial, St Andrew's church, Blickling
A white marble relief by A. G. Walker to Constance, widow of 8th Marquess of Lothian, d.1901.
She was responsible for funding the church restoration.
St Andrew's church, Blickling
Blickling was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, and some of the Boleyn family have memorials here.
This is a medieval church which has been extensively remodelled in the nineteenth century.
There is a western tower, nave with clerestory, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, and north east chapel.
The oldest part of the church is the south doorway which is Early English. The north doorway is early fourteenth century.
The nave has a fifteenth century roof and four bay arcades which are also from the fifteenth century.
Between 1850 and 1878 the whole church was restored by Street and Butterfield, with funds provided by Constance, Marchioness of Lothian in 1878. Her memorial is in the church.
The western tower was built in 1876 by G. E. Street to replace a smaller structure.
There is a perpendicular octagonal font decorated with lions.
The church has several good memorial brasses dating from the late fourteenth century onwards.
In the south aisle there is a sixteenth century tomb chest to Sir Edward Clere, and in the nave there is a large chest tomb with a recumbent figure and life-size attendant Angels at the head and foot to the 8th Earl of Lothian who died in 1870.
This page has been viewed