NS5061 : Welcome to Glasgow

taken 25 days ago, near to Waterside, East Renfrewshire, Great Britain

Welcome to Glasgow
Welcome to Glasgow
As the map shows, Hurlet Road divides for a short distance here (NS5061 : Excessive signage, Hurlet Road); this is the more northerly branch. Ahead is the boundary between Renfrewshire (on this side) and Glasgow. The smaller sign below "Welcome to Glasgow" reads "Proud Host City of the Glasgow 2018 European Championships".

Looking to the left (northeast) from what resembles a small lay-by just beyond the sign, it is possible to see the remains of a track that is marked on maps as early as 1796: NS5061 : The start of an old track. By the time the first-edition OS map was surveyed in 1857, a building called South Lodge was located at about that spot. The track itself led to Hawkhead House, at one time home to the Earl of Glasgow. See the end-note for a more detailed description.

Just beyond that, a gate (NS5061 : Gate leading to Hawkhead Woodland) leads from the pavement to the start of a woodland path that leads over Tongues Hill and Hurlet Hill: NS5061 : Hawkhead Woodland.

At the time of writing, large-scale mapping has, for this boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow, the following annotations: "Co Const, P Const, PER & UA Bdy" and "Burgh Const Bdy".
An old track to Hawkhead :: NS5162
The northern part of Hurlet Road crosses the boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow at NS50946148. The first-edition OS map (see LinkExternal link at NLS), surveyed in 1857, shows a building called South Lodge at that spot, as well as a curving track that began there, and which led to Hawkhead House (NS50826244). Hawkhead House is long gone (see LinkExternal link at Canmore), as is its South Lodge, but the track itself remains clearly visible on the ground.

That track considerably pre-dates the first OS maps of the area. It was shown on John Ainslie's 1796 map (see LinkExternal link at NLS) of Renfrewshire and on John Thomson's 1826 map (see LinkExternal link at NLS). Part of the line of the track corresponds to the present-day boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow. The track is raised, and sometimes remains above water when the adjacent land is flooded.

Beside Hawkhead House, the 1796 map has the annotation "Earl of Glasgow". In George Robertson's 1818 continuation of George Crawfurd's earlier "General Description of the Shire of Renfrew", it is stated that "Hawkhead, which in 1710 belonged to Lord Ross, is now the property and chief residence of the Earl of Glasgow, by inheritance, through the marriage of his predecessor, John, 3rd Earl of Glasgow, with Elizabeth, only surviving sister of William, 14th Lord Ross, who died in 1754".

See Link for the "Temple" (presumably a folly) that is shown nearby on the 1796 and 1826 maps. It is long gone, but it gave its name to present-day Temple Hill, on which it stood.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS5061, 24 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 26 August, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 9 September, 2019
Geographical Context
Boundary, Barrier  Roads, Road transport 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5094 6149 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:49.4144N 4:22.8564W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5089 6150
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register