NS5061 : The start of an old track

taken 25 days ago, near to Waterside, East Renfrewshire, Great Britain

The start of an old track
The start of an old track
The view is from the roadside; specifically, it is from the small space, like a lay-by, that can be seen beyond the sign in NS5061 : Welcome to Glasgow. At the spot from which the present picture was taken, the first-edition OS map (surveyed in 1857) shows a South Lodge, and a track leading from there to Hawkhead, as is explained in more detail in the end-note.

That track is the one shown receding directly from view. See NS5061 : An old track from Hawkhead House for a view back along it from further ahead.

Just a few metres to the photographer's right, a gate leads from the roadside to the beginning of a woodland path over Tongues Hill and Hurlet Hill: NS5061 : Hawkhead Woodland.
An old track to Hawkhead :: NS5162
The northern part of Hurlet Road crosses the boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow at NS50946148. The first-edition OS map (see LinkExternal link at NLS), surveyed in 1857, shows a building called South Lodge at that spot, as well as a curving track that began there, and which led to Hawkhead House (NS50826244). Hawkhead House is long gone (see LinkExternal link at Canmore), as is its South Lodge, but the track itself remains clearly visible on the ground.

That track considerably pre-dates the first OS maps of the area. It was shown on John Ainslie's 1796 map (see LinkExternal link at NLS) of Renfrewshire and on John Thomson's 1826 map (see LinkExternal link at NLS). Part of the line of the track corresponds to the present-day boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow. The track is raised, and sometimes remains above water when the adjacent land is flooded.

Beside Hawkhead House, the 1796 map has the annotation "Earl of Glasgow". In George Robertson's 1818 continuation of George Crawfurd's earlier "General Description of the Shire of Renfrew", it is stated that "Hawkhead, which in 1710 belonged to Lord Ross, is now the property and chief residence of the Earl of Glasgow, by inheritance, through the marriage of his predecessor, John, 3rd Earl of Glasgow, with Elizabeth, only surviving sister of William, 14th Lord Ross, who died in 1754".

See Link for the "Temple" (presumably a folly) that is shown nearby on the 1796 and 1826 maps. It is long gone, but it gave its name to present-day Temple Hill, on which it stood.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS5061, 24 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 26 August, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 9 September, 2019
Geographical Context
Paths 
Former (from Tags)
Track 
Primary Subject of Photo
Track 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5098 6153 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:49.4367N 4:22.8195W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5094 6148
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register