NS5061 : An old track from Hawkhead House

taken 25 days ago, near to Waterside, East Renfrewshire, Great Britain

An old track from Hawkhead House
An old track from Hawkhead House
About 50 metres ahead, the track meets present-day Hurlet Road; the South Lodge (now long gone) stood there. See NS5061 : The start of an old track for a view back from there.

The present picture indicates that the track saw use in recent times, with traces of an asphalt surface. In the left background, but on the near side of the road, is part of NS5061 : Hawkhead Woodland.

The lower ground on both sides of the track is sometimes flooded; compare NS5161 : Wet ground beside an old track, showing what is (with respect to the present picture) to the photographer's left.
An old track to Hawkhead :: NS5162
The northern part of Hurlet Road crosses the boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow at NS50946148. The first-edition OS map (see LinkExternal link at NLS), surveyed in 1857, shows a building called South Lodge at that spot, as well as a curving track that began there, and which led to Hawkhead House (NS50826244). Hawkhead House is long gone (see LinkExternal link at Canmore), as is its South Lodge, but the track itself remains clearly visible on the ground.

That track considerably pre-dates the first OS maps of the area. It was shown on John Ainslie's 1796 map (see LinkExternal link at NLS) of Renfrewshire and on John Thomson's 1826 map (see LinkExternal link at NLS). Part of the line of the track corresponds to the present-day boundary between Renfrewshire and Glasgow. The track is raised, and sometimes remains above water when the adjacent land is flooded.

Beside Hawkhead House, the 1796 map has the annotation "Earl of Glasgow". In George Robertson's 1818 continuation of George Crawfurd's earlier "General Description of the Shire of Renfrew", it is stated that "Hawkhead, which in 1710 belonged to Lord Ross, is now the property and chief residence of the Earl of Glasgow, by inheritance, through the marriage of his predecessor, John, 3rd Earl of Glasgow, with Elizabeth, only surviving sister of William, 14th Lord Ross, who died in 1754".

See Link for the "Temple" (presumably a folly) that is shown nearby on the 1796 and 1826 maps. It is long gone, but it gave its name to present-day Temple Hill, on which it stood.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS5061, 24 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 26 August, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 9 September, 2019
Geographical Context
Paths 
Former (from Tags)
Track 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5095 6150 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:49.4199N 4:22.8472W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5098 6153
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 5 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register