TF4582 : 14th century effigy

taken 4 months ago, near to Strubby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

14th century effigy
14th century effigy
Tomb for an unknown 14th century civilian in St.Oswald's church at Strubby
St Oswald's church, Strubby

Grade II* listed.

A church originally from circa 1300, with chancel, a 4 bay nave and south aisle, rebuilt in 1856-7 (except chancel) by Maughan & Fowler and again in 1874 by Ewan Christian. There was originally an oak framed tower, which became unsafe and was demolished, replaced with a bellcote and spirelet.
The east window is early 14th C. there is also a worn effigy from that time, and the south aisle and font date from 15th C.
There are several fine medieval Poppy-head bench ends.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Croft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF4582, 27 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 7 September, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 12 September, 2019
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Strubby 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4528 8257 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:19.2076N 0:10.7749E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4528 8257
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Grade II(star) Listed  Church  Church Interior  Tomb Effigy 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look  inside 
This page has been viewed about 10 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register