TG2105 : Harford Hills chalk mines - destroyed access

taken 15 days ago, near to Keswick, Norfolk, Great Britain

Harford Hills chalk mines - destroyed access
Harford Hills chalk mines - destroyed access
The remains of one of the entrances into Harford Hills chalk mines > Link which was destroyed by its owners - Easton Golf Club. They don't appear to be particularly poor but clearly were not prepared to pay for a few metres of sturdy railings to block this access into the mine, which from 1940 to 1944 was used as an operational base by the Eaton Patrol, a group of specially trained civilians forming part of Churchill's Secret Army, the Auxiliary Units. They had modified this access by installing a large corrugated iron pipe and a heavy steel hatch in order to provide more security. Instead of preserving and keeping the site safe, they sent in a digger to destroy yet another piece of our history.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2105, 327 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 30 November, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 30 November, 2019
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Quarrying, Mining  Suburb, Urban fringe  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 21 05 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 52:36.1265N 1:16.1688E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 32 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register