SD7109 : Victoria Hall (rear/side elevation) Ridgeway Gates

taken 15 days ago, near to Bolton, Great Britain

Victoria Hall (rear/side elevation) Ridgeway Gates
Victoria Hall (rear/side elevation) Ridgeway Gates
Bolton’s Victoria Hall was built on part of the site of The Ridgway Gates Chapel. This had been opened in 1776 and at the time, was considered to be the second-largest Methodist Chapel in England. The car park behind the hall covers part of the site.
Bolton Victoria Hall
The Victoria Hall was opened in 1900 in the style of a music hall with over 1,250 seats so everyone feels welcome.

In 1897, Bolton was to become the first town in the country to have a Central Hall, in keeping with the ‘forward movement’, which was the last great attempt to reach those alienated from all the churches. Architects Bradshaw Gass were commissioned to build “the finest hall in England”, based on the design of the popular Music Halls. It was felt that non- church people would feel more comfortable in such surroundings. The new Mission Hall was to be built on land belonging to Ridgway Gates Chapel which had opened in 1776 and was visited by John Wesley on 16 April 1777 when he gave it his official blessing. At the time it was considered to be the second largest Methodist Chapel in England.

A terrace of eight shops were bought with the middle four being demolished so that a red brick and terracotta entrance to the main hall could be created from the main street. The other shops were let to provide an income for the Mission. The main body of the hall lies behind the shops. Victoria Hall Methodist Mission was opened on 14 March 1900.

In addition to Worship, the Hall was used for many other activities including penny concerts and silent films were held on Saturday nights and the audience were invited to return on Sunday for worship. Concerts lasted around two hours, opening with a hymn and prayer, followed by several nationally famous soloists, musicians and often a comedian, and ending with the invitation and a benediction. Today, the Victoria Hall remains primarily a place of worship on Sundays, but on other days it plays host to a variety of musical events, lectures, meetings, school presentations etc. The main hall is noted for its fine acoustics.

The hall (including the shops at the front) is designated as a Grade II listed building (Historic England List Entry Number: 1388093 LinkExternal link ).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD7109, 409 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 3 February, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 10 February, 2020
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DC-G9 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 715 093 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:34.8140N 2:25.8794W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 715 093
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Nineteenth Century  19th Century  Victorian  Methodist  Mission Hall  Historic England  English Heritage  Grade II  Listed Building  Car Park 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 11 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register