NS6064 : The Doulton Fountain, Glasgow Green

taken 2 years ago, near to Glasgow, Great Britain

The Doulton Fountain, Glasgow Green
The Doulton Fountain, Glasgow Green
One of the exhibits in the 1888 Glasgow Empire Exhibition, the fountain is made entirely of terracotta by the Staffordshire Doulton pottery. It was moved to Glasgow Green after the exhibition closed. Listed category A (LB33836).
The Doulton Fountain

NS6064 : The Doulton Fountain, Glasgow Green is the largest three-storey terracotta fountain in the world. It is situated immediately to the north of the People's Palace on Glasgow Green.

The fountain, commemorating Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee of 1887 and celebrating Britain's Imperial achievements, was designed for the 1888 International Exhibition in Kelvingrove Park. After the exhibition, the hand-made structure was gifted to the city by its manufacturer, Sir Henry Doulton, and moved to Glasgow Green in 1890.

The fountain comprises four tiers which rise above the lower basin:
* The first tier has four colonial groups representing the four continents spanned by the British Empire.(NS6064 : Doulton Fountain, Colonial Group)
* The next tier depicts four servicemen (NS6064 : Doulton Fountain, Servicemen)
* Four female water bearers are on the next tier VNS6064 : Doulton Fountain, Water Bearer
* A slightly larger than life-size Queen Victoria (NS6064 : Queen Victoria Statue, Doulton Fountain)presides at the apex of the monument.

The statue of Victoria was struck by lightning in 1891 and, rather than let the city fathers replace it with something inferior, Doulton paid for a replacement.

The Fountain received Category A Listed status 1970

By the 1970s the fountain was showing signs of deterioration due to weathering and vandalism. Recently, a 3.75million refurbishment has taken place and the switch on ceremony for the refurbished fountain took place in May 2005.

Glasgow Green :: NS6063

Glasgow Green is a park situated in the east end of Glasgow on the north bank of the River Clyde. It is the oldest public space in the UK dating back to the 15th century.

In 1450, King James II granted the land to Bishop William Turnbull and the people of Glasgow. The Green was then an uneven swampy area composed of a number of "greens" (divided by the Camlachie Burn and Molendinar Burn), including the High and Low Greens, the Calton Green and the Gallowgate Green. The park served a number of purposes in its first few centuries; as a grazing area, an area to wash and bleach linen, an area to dry fishing nets and for activities like swimming.

Efforts were made to improve the layout of the park, notably In 1817 and 1826. The park was levelled out and drained and the burns were culverted.

LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS6064, 473 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 28 June, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 13 February, 2020
Geographical Context
Park and Public Gardens 
Date (from Tags)
1888 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 6010 6431 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:51.0980N 4:14.1784W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 6009 6427
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Ornamental Fountain  Category A Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register