SD3483 : Low Wood Gunpowder Works

taken 10 months ago, near to Low Wood, Cumbria, Great Britain

Low Wood Gunpowder Works
Low Wood Gunpowder Works
Gunpowder manufacture was first licensed in 1798. Originally, the River Leven was navigable to Low Wood. After the railway arrived, the gunpowder was carried by a horse-drawn tramway up to Haverthwaite station. Production ended in 1935.
The main buildings have been converted into business units. The clock tower (1859) housed the saltpetre refinery. Grade II* Listed Building - LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ian Taylor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD3483, 38 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 March, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 5 March, 2020
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Business, Retail, Services 
Primary Subject of Photo
Business 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3464 8366 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:14.6663N 3:0.2688W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3457 8363
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Business Centre  Former Gunpowder Works  Grade II(star) Listed Building 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register