TF0811 : East window, St Thomas Becket church, Greatford

taken 23 days ago, near to Greatford, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

East window, St Thomas à Becket church, Greatford
East window, St Thomas Becket church, Greatford
The Last Supper by Ward & Hughes, 1882.
In memory of Edward R. Mantell, d.1882.
St Thomas Becket church, Greatford

Grade I listed

Parts of the church dates back to Norman times, with some herringbone work suggesting an eleventh century date, the rest of it being Early English onwards. The north wall is the oldest part church from circa 1100.
There is a nave, chancel, south porch, the three-stage tower with a broach spire and lucarnes, a north Chapel and vestry. The tower had 5 bells.

The south wall has a blocked arch into a former south chapel from the thirteenth century.
Several alterations were made in the fourteenth century to the chancel, north chapel, and windows in the south walls of the nave and chancel. The south porch dates from this period.
Beneath the tower and behind the organ there is a large tomb slab with an incised foliated cross. There are also the remains of stairs to the rood loft.

There is a pierced stone screen between the north chapel and the nave which is probably a squint. It has a base consisting of carved oak leaves around a central hole and was possibly used as a piscina or offertory basin.

The chancel has a wooden screen from 1913 and there are several lancet windows and a fourteenth century sedilia. There is also an aumbry, and the altar has a stone reredos.

The north chapel has several monuments to the Willis family, including Doctor Francis Willis with a bust by Nollekens. There is also the remains of an Easter Sepulchre.

The nave contains a square font with carving on each face depicting seated figures, the virgin and child, and a cadaver, possibly a deposition scene. There are Bishop and King's heads on the corners. There is no other information about this font, which appears to be mounted on a modern support, although it is probably medieval.

There is a small organ from 1908 by William Hill & Sons, this was overhauled in 1983.

The church has recently had a new stained glass window installed in the south wall of the nave with glass designed by Helen Whittaker of Barley Studios, York. Other stained glass in the church is Victorian.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0811, 99 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 6 March, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 9 March, 2020
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Greatford 
Church (from Tags)
St Thomas a Becket 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0861 1196 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:41.6664N 0:23.6624W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window  Ward & Hughes 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 4 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register