SJ8598 : New Islington

taken 3 years ago, near to Manchester, Great Britain

This is 1 of 13 images, with title New Islington in this square
New Islington
New Islington
On the right is the Chips building, one of the earliest apartment blocks to be built around the marina at New Islington. On the left and shrouded in scaffolding is the former Ancoats Dispensary. In the background is the former Stubbs Mill SJ8598 : Derelict Mill at New Islington which is now being refurbished and converted into apartments.
New Islington Marina

The New Islington Marina is centred on Old Mill Street in an area of Ancoats that has seen considerable urban regeneration since the Millennium. The marina services both the Ashton Canal on one side and the Rochdale Canal on the other, although there is no direct connection between the two canals.

The Ancoats Hospital and Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary

The hospital began life in 1828 as the “Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary” on Great Ancoats Street. In 1869, it moved to this building in Mill Street which was built to serve the influx of people who came to the Ancoats area during Manchester’s industrial hey-day (by the 1830s, around 32,000 people lived and worked in Ancoats; this population consisted principally of Irish labourers and textile workers LinkExternal link ) . The specific purpose of dispensaries was to advise and treat poor people at their homes or as outpatients, relieving some of the burden on hospital facilities and minimising the possibility of epidemics that could arise if people with infectious diseases were admitted to hospitals as inpatients.

The Dispensary was the earliest building on what subsequently grew to become a much larger site. In 1875, Ancoats began a Provident Branch at the Hospital and the Dispensary later separated from the main hospital to be managed by the Provident Dispensary association and becoming a 50 bed hospital for in-patients. The hospital then became officially the “Ancoats Hospital and Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary”, but it was usually referred to simply as the “Ancoats Hospital”. An interior scene of the building was painted in 1952 by L S Lowry in his work “Ancoats Hospital Outpatients' Hall” LinkExternal link .

The Dispensary building has significance as the earliest and most architecturally notable building of the former hospital complex and largely comprises a red brick building with polychrome bands, and had steeply pitched hipped slate roofs, and is of an irregular plan, and of a gothic style. The Dispensary was listed `Grade II’ in 1974, with the listing updated in 1994 (English Heritage Building ID: 388313 LinkExternal link ).

Since the closure of Ancoats Hospital in 1989, the majority of the hospital complex has been demolished and the Dispensary is now the only former hospital building remaining on the Ancoats site. It is derelict and the upstanding remains comprise principally of the exterior walls, which are supported by scaffolding.

Unfortunately, the developers were unable to find either a new use or a buyer for it and so planning consent was sought for its demolition (LinkExternal link -application details). A report from the Manchester Evening News in January 2012 (LinkExternal link ) indicated that The Greater Manchester Building Preservation Trust had agreed to buy the building from Urban Splash for just £1. However, the building is in a poor state of repair and the Trust needs to raise £3m to bring it up to modern standards. A planned grant from the North West Development Agency is no longer available as the agency has been wound down by the government. So the building is not yet safe from the bulldozers. The "Ancoats Dispensary Trust", was formed in 2012 LinkExternal link with the aim of saving the building.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8598, 646 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 17 November, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 5 April, 2020
Geographical Context
Housing, Dwellings  Health and social services  Canals 
Former (from Tags)
Hospital 
Housing (from Tags)
Converted Mill 
Place (from Tags)
New Islington 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8546 9834 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.8946N 2:13.2339W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8543 9832
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Apartments  Apartment Block  Canals 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register