SJ3687 : St Michaels in the hamlet church
taken 18 years ago, 3 km from New Ferry, Wirral, England
St Michaels in the hamlet church
St. Michael's was consecrated on 21st June 1815, its first service being a thanksgiving for victory at the Battle of Waterloo. It was the second of Liverpool's 'cast iron churches'. Its builder, John Cragg, was principal partner in the Mersey Iron Foundry in Tithebarn Street and its architect, Thomas Rickman, was committed to a revival of Gothic design. Cast iron was used where ever possible in the construction of the church, from its frame to intricate Gothic mouldings and ornamental work, both internal and external.
This page has been viewed