SE2231 : No. 54, Fulneck

taken 1 year ago, near to Pudsey, Leeds, Great Britain

No. 54, Fulneck
No. 54, Fulneck
Presently a tearoom and antique shop, previously a restaurant SE2231 : Zachary's Restaurant - No 54 Fulneck and listed (grade II, entry 1135097) as the "Fulneck Shop", the building dates from c.1762.
Fulneck Moravian Settlement, Leeds :: SE2232

Fulneck Moravian Settlement is a village in Pudsey. It was established in 1744. It is named after Fulneck (Czech: Fulnek), the German name of a town in Northern Moravia, Czech Republic.

The village lies in a picturesque location on a hillside overlooking a deep valley. Pudsey Beck flows along the bottom of the valley.


Members of the Moravian Church settled at Fulneck in 1744. They were descendants of old Bohemian/Czech Unity of the Brethren (extinct after 1620 due to forcible re-Catholization imposed on the Czech lands by Habsburg emperors), which in 1722 had found refuge in Saxony on the estate of Nicolaus Ludwig Count von Zinzendorf. Within the next few years after settling, housing as well as a school and a chapel were built. The chapel building was completed in 1748. In 1753 and 1755 the Boys' and Girls' Schools were opened. In 1994 the two became one school.

Fulneck Moravian Chapel is a Grade I listed building, making it one of the most architecturally significant buildings in Leeds.

Many of the 18th-century stone houses in the village are listed buildings.

The fee-paying Fulneck School, established in 1753, forms a major part of the Moravian village.

Founded in 1892, Fulneck Golf Club is the oldest golf club in the Leeds area.

In recent years, a restaurant and cafe occupied an 18th-century listed building, that was the original shop for the settlement. Shop records still survive from its opening in 1762, and are believed to be some of the oldest shop archives in the UK. As of October 2015, the building is unoccupied.

The Moravian museum (opposite the church) has operated since 1969 and is open Saturdays and Wednesdays 2 pm-4 pm.

There are a number of footpaths and scenic walks in the area, including a footpath between Fulneck and the nearby village of Tong and the Leeds Country Way.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE2231, 94 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 19 May, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 23 May, 2020
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Business, Retail, Services 
Date (from Tags)
1762 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 2204 3198 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:47.0209N 1:40.0193W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 2205 3199
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Tearoom  Antique Shop  Grade II Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register