TL4558 : St G.A.P. 1817

taken 4 months ago, near to Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, Great Britain

St G.A.P. 1817
St G.A.P. 1817
A stone marking a parish boundary in the wall of Christ's College, facing Milton's Walk along Christ's Pieces. The abbreviation stands for Great St Andrew's Parish, whose parish church stands opposite the main gate of Christ's.

Such markers were (and in places still are) visited in the annual Rogation walks at the beginning of summer, where prayers were offered for the coming harvest and parishioners familiarised with the exact location of the parish boundaries in the days before modern digital mapping.

Civil parishes no longer exist within the City of Cambridge (as in most urban areas in England) but their boundaries may still apply to ecclesiastical (quoad sacra) parishes.
Christ's Pieces

Christ's Pieces is a Victorian park in Cambridge, with flower beds and ornamental trees. The area acts as an important publicly accessible open grassed area for the city centre. It is located to the east of Christ's College and to the north of Emmanuel College. To the north is King Street, to the east is Emmanuel Road, to the south is Drummer Street, and to the west is Milton's Walk.
The park is used by pedestrians walking between the centre of the city and the Grafton Centre (a shopping centre). In good weather, it is often used as a place for lunch outside as well. There are tennis courts at the northwest corner of Christ's Pieces and a bowling green in the southeast corner. The main central Cambridge bus station is north off Drummer Street on the southern edge of Christ's Pieces near the southwest corner.
There is a Christ's Pieces Residents Association (CPRA) for local residents and others interested in maintaining the character of the surrounding area.
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Christ's College

Christ's College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge. The student body divides into roughly 430 undergraduates and 170 postgraduates. The college was founded by Lady Margaret Beaufort in 1505, and was the twelfth of the current colleges to be founded in its current form, though it had been previously founded as God's House in 1437.
The main part of the college is Grade I listed.
LinkExternal link &
LinkExternal link
Website: LinkExternal link
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Church of St Andrew the Great

A Victorian Church LinkExternal link
Grade II listed. LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Tiger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL4558, 3784 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 23 June, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 23 June, 2020
Geographical Context
Boundary, Barrier  Park and Public Gardens  City, Town centre 
Primary Subject of Photo
Boundary 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 4520 5852 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:12.3470N 0:7.4074E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 4520 5852
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Parish Boundary  Parish Boundary Stone 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 23 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register