SU9097 : Information Board at Holmer Green Common

taken 1 year ago, near to Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Information Board at Holmer Green Common
Information Board at Holmer Green Common
This information board, which has been erected by the Holmer Green Village Society, is at the east end of the Common HP15 6TD, and shows a view looking towards the north end of The Common with Holmer Green Village Hall to the left of the board. It has the following wording:

Top left
FLORA
The most notable tree is the magnificent Horse Chestnut which stands in the
North West corner. Many species of tree are planted around the perimeter
amongst them are Beech, Silver Birch, Japanese Crab Apple, Mountain Ash,
Swedish Whitebeam, Lime, Cherry, Holly, Sycamore, Field Maple and probably the
oldest tree here, the English Oak. Scan the QR code below for information about
all the trees around the Common.
Images of English Oak, Field Maple, Horse Chestnut, Cherry, Silver Birch and
Whitebeam.

Lower left
HOLMER GREEN
The first real glimpse of our village as a whole is through the 1742 map of the
Manor of Holmer where we see a very open landscape with ancient woodland on the
outskirts. We also see an established but scattered settled population. Most
of these inhabitants would be involved in farming and general rural pursuits.
We see the first evidence of fruit growing and in some of the place names much
evidence of sheep rearing and droving. We can also identify some of the
buildings that survive to this day. This 1742 layout of the village remained
almost unaltered until Holmer Green was enclosed by act of parliament in 1854
when the road lay-out we know today was introduced.
Map: Holmer green; 1854 Common inserted on the 1742 Manor map.

Top right
THE COMMON
It could be said that our hill top village has two main centres with the first
being around the cross roads with our ancient pond and shops. The attractive
and busy area of the Common provides the second focal point. Around its three
sides you will find the Middle School and Baptist Church, while the Bat and
Ball pub stands proud on one corner overlooking the children's playground.
The Church community hall lies adjacent to Christ Church. which modestly
dominates the skyline with its high perched golden cockerel weather vane. The
main village hall known as the Village Centre evolved from the Victorian
school. Further around the Common is the original Baptist Chapel which is now
converted to a dwelling. On the south side is the Clementi estate that up until
the 1970s was the country house known as Holmer Court, home to Sir Cecil and
Lady Clementi.
Photos (top right anticlockwise to lower right)
i) Peddles Cottage c.1910
ii) The Common 2008
iii) The Bat & Ball c.1950
iv) Christ Church c.1905
v) Sunnyside & The Old School 1900
vi) The White House 1899
vii) Baptist Chapel Late 1920s
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Hillas and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU9097, 31 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 19 September, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 28 September, 2020
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 9062 9730 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:40.0308N 0:41.4652W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 9064 9729
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Information Board  Holmer Green 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 20 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register