2021

NZ0384 : Snowdrops & Snowdrop Sculpture, East Wood, Wallington

taken 3 years ago, near to Cambo, Northumberland, England

Snowdrops & Snowdrop Sculpture, East Wood, Wallington
Snowdrops & Snowdrop Sculpture, East Wood, Wallington
The snowdrop sculpture was installed in 2018 by basket maker, Eddie Glew, using traditional willow weaving techniques. The trio shows the evolution of a snowdrop with the largest reaching 4 metres tall. The sculpture was commissioned by the National Trust to promote Wallington Hallís huge snowdrop planting extravaganza. The woods around Wallington Hall have now been planted with some 500,000 snowdrop bulbs.
Wallington Hall :: NZ0284

The hall is a 17th Century country house in the Grand Palladian style, originally built in 1688, although there have been many subsequent changes.

The building was commissioned by William Blackett, a well-known local man with a considerable fortune made from his industrial and mining ventures.

Initially, the building was built in a block with four sides surrounding an open area. This was later covered and made to represent an Italian courtyard, decorated with Pre-Raphaelite style pictorial panels by William Bell Scott depicting scenes from Northumbrian history ranging from the Roman occupation to the exploits of Grace Darling.

Standing guard on the approach to the hall from the south are four huge stone griffin heads. These were brought from Bishopsgate in London and are undoubtedly the ancestors of the modern day griffins which still stand watch over all roads leading into the City of London. Moving these effigies all those years ago was a major task and they were actually shipped to Amble as ballast in returning colliers.

Living in the nearby village of Kirkharle was a young boy by the name of Lancelot Brown and he passed the estate daily on his way to school. In 1765 he had become known as Capability Brown and he designed the extensive east gardens which have changed very little since then.

The interior of the house was lavishly decorated and there is fine rococo plasterwork in many of the main rooms. This work was executed by two Italian brothers who were paid £23 for their labours!

In 1777 the hall passed to the Trevelyan family, but as they were comfortably settled in Somerset they showed little interest in Wallington. However, in 1840 William Trevelyan and his wife Pauline moved in and the house enjoyed a new lease of life.

It was visited by many celebrities of the day, including Ruskin and Turner. Lord Macaulay wrote his History of England there and the desk at which he sat is now an exhibit.

The last Trevelyan to live there was Charles, who, strangely enough, was a zealous communist and is known to have visited Russia. A number of prominent Labour politicians visited the hall, particularly around the times of the Durham galas.

In 1929 the hall was opened to visitors, free of charge. Inevitably the cost of maintaining such a large estate proved too much and the property, comprising the hall and grounds, 17 farms and the village of Cambo, was bequeathed to the National Trust.

Under the stewardship of the National Trust, the hall has become a major tourist attraction for thousands of visitors every year and also plays host to many cultural and other events such as concerts, craft fairs, veteran car rallies and dog shows. It is also in great demand as a very spectacular and impressive location for weddings!

The hall contains an impressive collection of dollsí houses and also Lady Wilsonís 'cabinet of curiosities' a rather eccentric collection of period bric-a-brac.

Wikipedia: Wallington Hall LinkExternal link
National Trust: Wallington LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Wallington Hall [32] · East Wood [16] · Plants [8] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NZ0384, 208 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Andrew Curtis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 25 February, 2021   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 26 February, 2021
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 030 845 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:9.2895N 1:57.2395W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 030 844
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 75 times
You are not logged in login | register