SJ7481 : Italian Garden, Tatton Park

taken 20 days ago, near to Mere, Cheshire, Great Britain

Italian Garden, Tatton Park
Italian Garden, Tatton Park
The south front of Tatton Hall forms a backdrop to the Italian Garden. The main block is made up of a centre of two storeys and five bays wide, with a portico on four giant columns and windows at each end of Adam type. Rosettes and swags carved on the stone between first and second floor levels break up the flat surfaces. To the west is a two-storey extension with rows of columns, plain below and decorated above, the lower part by Lewis Wyatt, the upper by George Stokes in 1860. The mansion is a Grade I listed building (Historic England List Entry Number: 1329670 LinkExternal link ).

The fountain in the foreground is known as Neptune although it is actually a Triton (a bearded man with a fish tail, blowing on a conch shell). It was added in 1887 in time for the visit of the Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra. It is unusual in that its pipework is visible at the back.

The Triton Fountain and pool wall are Grade II listed (English Heritage Building ID: 58471 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

LinkExternal link Discover Garden Architecture and Statuary (Tatton Park)
Tatton Hall

Tatton Hall is a country house in Tatton Park near Knutsford

A new house was built at Tatton for the Egerton family in 1716. Between the 1770s and 1816 most of it was replaced by the present neoclassical mansion, designed by Samuel Wyatt and his nephew Lewis William Wyatt. Further additions to the house were made in 186162 and in 1884.

The last member of the Egerton family to live in the hall was Maurice Egerton. On his death in 1958 , he bequeathed the mansion and gardens to the National Trust and it is open for visiting by the general public at advertised times (LinkExternal link National Trust Visitor Information).

Tatton Hall is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 58467 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

Tatton Park Gardens

Tatton Park Gardens lie immediately to the south of Tatton Hall Link , and consist of formal and informal gardens within Tatton Park Link . Included in the gardens are an Italian garden, a walled garden, a rose garden and the Japanese garden. The buildings in the garden are the Conservatory, the Fernery and the Showhouse. The gardens are owned by the National Trust and administered by Cheshire East Council.

The gardens are registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by English Heritage, designated at Grade II* for special historic interest(LinkExternal link National Heritage List for England). They are open to the public at advertised times (LinkExternal link National Trust Visitor Information).

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ7481, 222 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 28 April, 2021   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 1 May, 2021
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Housing, Dwellings  Country estates 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DC-G9 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 745 815 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:19.8201N 2:23.0160W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 745 815
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 1 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register