ST2788 : Milestone 8, Fourteen Locks Canal Centre

taken 2 months ago, near to Rogerstone, Newport/Casnewydd, Great Britain

Milestone 8, Fourteen Locks Canal Centre
Milestone 8, Fourteen Locks Canal Centre
And cafe ( LinkExternal link ). At the basin below the top lock. MonBrec, Crumlin Arm.

Inscription: from // Potter Street lock // 8 // M.C.Cᴼ.

Milestone Society ID: CRU-8
The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal :: SO0428

The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal (popularly referred to as the Mon & Brec) was originally two separate canals: the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal, and the Monmouthshire Canal. The 35-mile navigable section seen today is mostly the former. Following discussions in the 1790s, it was decided to link the two canals at Pontymoile. The Monmouthshire Canal, including a branch from Malpas to Crumlin, was opened in 1799 with the Brecknock & Abergavenny extending from Brecon to Gilwern by 1800, finally reaching Pontymoile by 1812.

Though originally constructed to transport coal, lime and agricultural products the canal was used extensively by ironmasters and industrialists as their main transport network, bringing the raw iron ore up the canal from Newport to Llanfoist Wharf and thence by tramroads to the iron works and returning with trams loaded with iron, the finished product.

In 1880 the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canals were taken over by the Great Western Railway. Within 35 years, commercial carrying had all but ceased. Throughout the 20th century various parts of the Monmouthshire Canal were filled in for road construction. Both canals were abandoned by the early 1960s but restoration work from Brecon to Pontymoile began in 1968 following vigorous campaigning by canal enthusiasts. Recent developments have included a complete regeneration of the terminus at Brecon, and various works continue to reclaim the navigation between Pontymoile and Newport. The Blaenavon area and a section of the canal were granted World Heritage status in 2000 in recognition of its historical significance.
LinkExternal link Canal and River Trust

Fourteen Locks Canal Centre, Newport

This is situated on Crumlin branch of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal on the outskirts of Newport.
The fourteen locks are part of the Cefn flight that dates from 1799 and is located to the north of the M4 motorway. These locks are numbers 8 to 21 on the Crumlin Branch.
There is a visitor centre and car park adjacent to a large canal pound with a slipway.
The four locks, numbers 17 to 20, just below the pound were restored in 2010/11.

Canal milestone & mile / boundary markers

Collection of images of canal mile markers, fingerposts and boundary posts organised by canal, with links to the source images. Plus other relevant data. eg - LinkExternal link (42 canals in the drop-down menu) aka mile pegs, road numbers, mile markers or mileposts

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mr Red and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST2788, 192 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 10 June, 2021   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 17 June, 2021
Geographical Context
Canals 
Primary Subject of Photo
Milepost or Milestone 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 2796 8863 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:35.5137N 3:2.4792W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 2796 8863
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Museum 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 4 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register