SK9870 : Canwick Road Old Cemetery Gates, Lincoln

taken 2 years ago, near to Canwick, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Canwick Road Old Cemetery Gates, Lincoln
Canwick Road Old Cemetery Gates, Lincoln
Lincoln Old cemetery was laid out by Henry Goddard and opened in August 1856. Building designs were by Michael Drury who may have been responsible for design of the enclosing walls and gates. The ashlar pillars appear to date from 1855-6 but much of the railings have been removed, presumably during the 2nd world war and here replaced with hedging. Some wall caps replaced on adjoining walls. Remaining gates have been re-hung but appear to be original and at one time carried two small representations of the city shield. The entrance area, gates and walls do not align with the current road or internal paths and buildings although it appears for some reason to have been designed this way based on other pier and wall positions.
Old Cemetery

Under the ‘Public Health Act of 1848 moves were started on a new cemetery but due to procrastination the Board of Health intervened whereby all Lincoln churchyards below hill were to be closed by October 1854 except the new St Swithin cemetery in Rosemary lane. In May 1854 the Lincoln Cemetery Committee (later setting up a Burial Board) had decided to appeal to the city's "affluent citizens" to contribute to the project saying that if two-thirds of the parishes concurred it would subscribe towards expenses. Controversy remained about the site of the cemetery and in March 1855 a vote settled the matter 42-23 for the cow paddle. The sixteen acres of land cost the Board £1,150 and the final bill for land, landscaping and buildings was £5,700. The land sale was strongly opposed by local residents and a formal petition was sent to the corporation signed by ‘Residents Householders and Freemen of the City of Lincoln’. The land was common land and Robey’s also acquired a further six- and three-quarter acres of the Cow Paddle. Commoners were compensated with an additional seventeen and a half acres still also known as the Cow Paddle and still common land. It was not until 1870 a private act passed and legalised the changes, some retrospectively. 20th October 1855 crowds, including 2000 schoolchildren, attended when Richard Carline, the chairman of the Burial Board, made a welcome speech in which he confirmed that the city's churches were to be closed to burials and then laid the foundation stone. Included was a bottle "sealed with the Burial Board seal, and containing the current coins of the realm and a roll of parchment, on which was inscribed the names of members of the Burial Board and the clerks and officials". A brass plate marks the place where the stone was laid. The first interment at the new Cemetery took place on 3rd August 1856; a baby, 16-week-old John Allison of the parish of St Peter at Arches. Burials were overseen by Anglican vicars, rectors, curates and a Baptist Minister indicating its non-denominational nature. Corpses arrived from parishes across Lincoln, including Saint Michael on the Mount, Saint Benedict, Saint Martin, Saint Paul, and Saint Peter at Gowts. The Burial Board ceased to exist in 1907 when Lincoln became a single civil parish and the cemeteries were taken over by the City Council.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9870, 74 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 30 December, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 2 January, 2022
Geographical Context
Suburb, Urban fringe  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Primary Subject of Photo
Gateway 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9806 7009 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:13.1295N 0:31.9707W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9805 7009
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 10 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register