SW7656 : St Piran's Oratory - Looking down into the interior

taken 3 months ago, near to Mount, Cornwall, England

St Piran's Oratory - Looking down into the interior
St Piran's Oratory - Looking down into the interior
Looking across the waterlogged nave of the ancient monument of St Piran's Oratory with its altar at the eastern end and entry arch in the south wall. It is thought that St Piran's remains may possibly have been buried beneath the altar.
St Piran's Oratory, Church and Cross

Two ancient ruins and a stone cross are to be found on the dunes to the east of Penhale Sands. On looking at the map you would reasonably think that they were surrounded by sand whereas in fact they are in the midst of the dune system.
The older of the two ruins is a tiny church referred to as St Piran's Oratory. It dates from as early as the C6th or C7th and it is thought that the altar may have been constructed over the remains of St Piran himself as excavations in 1835 discovered a headless skeleton there. This little church was inundated by sand early in the last millennium and resulted in the construction of the nearby old parish church in the C12th. This later church was in turn similarly inundated and had been abandoned by the end of the C18th, being dismantled in c.1803.
The Oratory is protected by a staggeringly ugly concrete structure erected in 1910. This itself became covered in sand and was most recently revealed again in 2015. Every year, the oratory hosts hundreds of people dressed in white, gold and black who march upon it in celebration of St Piranís Day.
When the C12th church, known as St Piran's Old Church was dismantled most of its fabric was reused to build the present Church of St Piran in nearby Perranzabuloe, including the tower, windows, arches, arcade masonry and porch.
A few yards south of this ruined church stands a fine Celtic Cross, possibly the oldest in Cornwall. It is a granite monolith with a pierced wheel-head and is perhaps contemporary with the Oratory (C6th or 7th).
St Piran was a C5th Cornish abbot possibly of Irish origin. He is the patron saint of tin-miners, and is also generally regarded as the patron saint of Cornwall - his flag, a white cross on a black background being the flag of Cornwall. It is thought that he was executed by Tador or Theodoric, King of Cornwall in 480.

EH Listings - all Grade II:
Oratory: LinkExternal link
Old Church: LinkExternal link
Cross: LinkExternal link
Scheduled Ancient Monument Listings:
Oratory and early cemetery: LinkExternal link
Church, Cross & surrounding enclosure: LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Historic sites and artefacts Religious sites Primary Subject: Ancient Site
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SW7656, 41 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Rob Farrow   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 30 August, 2023   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 17 September, 2023
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SW 7685 5639 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:21.9001N 5:8.3444W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SW 7684 5639
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 27 times
You are not logged in login | register