1985

TA0928 : Humber Dock Basin, Kingston upon Hull

taken 41 years ago, near to Kingston Upon Hull, England

Humber Dock Basin, Kingston upon Hull
Humber Dock Basin, Kingston upon Hull
The keel of the William McCann, a sail-powered fishing vessel, was laid in 1884 at the Garrison Side yard of William McCann, Kingston upon Hull. Originally named 'City of Edinboro', the vessel underwent a further three changes of name before it became the 'William McCann' in 1980. Full history: LinkExternal link

The vessel is moored at the northern quay of the Humber Dock Basin.
The Port of Hull

The Port of Hull is first recorded in 1193 but its location on the river Hull has not been identified. By the 13th century, the ‘old harbour’, or haven, extended from the confluence of the River Hull and the Humber Estuary upstream as far as North Bridge. In mid-13th Century, the Port of Hull was a member of the Hanseatic League, commemorated in the 21st century through 'International Hanse Day'. By the 18th century it was becoming increasingly clear that the haven was unfit for the growing amount of trade, hence the building of inland docks linked to the river and the Humber Estuary. See Wikipedia for further details: LinkExternal link
The Dock 1778, closed 1930. Also known as The Old Dock, and Queen's Dock after 1855.
Humber Dock 1809, closed 1968. Part of Hull Marina 1984. Wikipedia: LinkExternal link
Junction Dock 1829. Renamed Prince’s Dock 1855. Closed 1968. Now Prince’s Quay shopping centre. Wikipedia: LinkExternal link
Railway Dock 1846, closed 1968. Part of Hull Marina 1984.
Victoria Dock 1850, closed 1970s. Infilled except for the Inner and Outer Basins connected to the Humber Estuary. Now Victoria Dock Village (housing).
Albert Dock 1869
William Wright Dock 24 May 1873
St Andrew’s Dock 1883, closed 1975.
Alexandra Dock 1885. Green Port Hull created on part of the dock for Siemens Gamesa 2017.
Riverside Quay 1907. Destroyed by enemy bombing 1941. Remains are in situ 2024.
King George Dock 1914
Queen Elizabeth Dock 1970
River Terminal 1 1993. Rotterdam Terminal built on same site 2001.
Covered Terminal 1997. Renamed Hull All-Weather Terminal 2009.
The Port of Hull was nationalised and, on 1 January 1948, the North Eastern Railway's holdings passed to the British Transport Commission. It was found to be unwieldy and the docks element was replaced by the British Transport Docks Board (BTDB) on 1 January 1964. In 1983 it was renamed Associated British Ports (ABP) and allowed to become a public limited company. The company was taken over by a consortium of companies in 2006 and the company was de-listed from the London Stock Exchange.

Further information: Hull History Nerd: LinkExternal link

Humber Dock, Kingston upon Hull

The dock was formally opened on 30 June 1809. The cost of construction was split between the Dock Company, the Hull Corporation and Hull Trinity House. Humber Dock closed in 1968, re-opening in 1983 as Hull Marina. Further information in Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Fishing Industry, Kingston upon Hull

The city’s fishing industry was founded by fishermen from Brixham (Devon) and Ramsgate (Kent) in mid-19th century. Initially, landing and marketing were confined to the pier, then a corner of Humber Dock, before moving again to the newly-opened Albert Dock in 1869. A significant boost came in 1883 when St Andrew’s Dock was opened solely for the fishing industry. The slump in the industry in the 1970s led to the closure of St Andrew’s Dock in 1975, when fishing vessels moved back to their old home in Albert Dock. In 2024, the future of the industry in the city is uncertain.

Further reading:
Arctic Corsair: LinkExternal link
Cod Wars: LinkExternal link
End of the line? LinkExternal link
Fish Dock - The Story of St Andrew’s Dock Hull, by Michael Thompson, 1989, 118 pp.
Fishing News: LinkExternal link
Hull Bullnose Heritage Group: LinkExternal link
Hull Docklands, by Michael Thompson, 1990. St Andrew’s Dock is featured at pp 44 to 49.
Hull Maritime Museum: LinkExternal link
Hull triple trawler tragedy: LinkExternal link
Lillian Bilocca: LinkExternal link
St Andrews Dock Heritage Park Action Group: LinkExternal link
The last gasp: Hull life during the fishing industry’s death – in pictures: LinkExternal link
The Uncertain Future of the Kirkella, the UK’s Largest Deep Sea Trawler: LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bernard Sharp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: City, Town centre People, Events Docks, Harbours other tags: Conservation Area Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TA0928, 7308 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Bernard Sharp   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 31 March, 1985   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 24 March, 2024
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 0985 2814 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:44.2850N 0:20.1638W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 0988 2814
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 40 times