TQ4095 : Connaught Water

taken 18 years ago, near to Buckhurst Hill, Essex, Great Britain

This is 1 of 7 images, with title Connaught Water in this square
Connaught Water
Connaught Water
The construction of this eight-acre ornamental lake started in 1883. It was enlarged in 1893 and the two islands made. Before this transformation, the area consisted of a small swampy pool fed by the drainage from Hill Wood, Fairmead Bottom and Thicket. The aim of the Conservators in the early days was to drain the Forest to improve it for Commoners' cattle and to increase access safely.

The new lake was named after the newly appointed first Ranger of the Forest, the Duke of Connaught. The catchment area of Connaught Water is the woodland and plains northwards to High Beach from where the water is concentrated into two streams entering at the NE and NW corners of the lake.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Dawson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ4095, 81 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 11 January, 2003   (more nearby)
Monday, 9 May, 2005
Lakes and Rivers   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 404 952 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:38.2853N 0:1.6476E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph (First for TQ4095) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 976 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon
You are not logged in login | register