TA0928 : Waterhouse Lane, Kingston upon Hull
taken 1 year ago, near to Kingston Upon Hull, England

Public houses, or informally ‘pubs’, come and go, relocate, change their name … Trade directories provide a historical perspective: in 1803 there were 181 pubs in the then town, rising to a high of 311 in 1876, reducing to 173 by 1978, and likely to be much lower still today.
Further reading:
‘Public Houses of the Old Town since 1803’ by Heritage Information Centre, undated
‘Bottoms Up – A Walking Guide to Hull Pubs’ by Howard B. Fuller, 1993
‘Lost Pubs of Hull’ by Paul Gibson and Graham Wilkinson, 1999
‘Hull Pubs and Breweries’ by Paul Gibson, 2004
‘Ale Trail’ pubs in the Old Town: Link![]()
‘Low Ale Trail’ in Hull city centre: Link![]()
Real Ale Pub Guide (CAMRA): Link
Built in the late 18th century, the former Junction Dock Tavern, No. 6 Castle Street, had its name changed in honour of the Earl de Grey and Ripon (now Marquis of Ripon) who was installed Lord High Steward of Hull on 29 October 1863. Once renowned for a couple of parakeets behind the bar that would swear in several languages, this once popular and well-known public house closed in 2005 and has ever since stood empty. Grade II Listed Building: Link
In 2020, the pub was deconstructed brick-by-brick and is presently being rebuilt in Waterhouse Lane, next-door to Castle Buildings, under refurbishment. This work is being undertaken due to improvements to Castle Street. Full details in Hull News: Link
