HU4837 : Kirkabister Head Lighthouse
taken 2 months ago, near to Kirkabister, Bressay, Shetland Islands, Scotland

The Category B listed Link
This lighthouse was built between 1856 and 1858, first shining with the light of candles on 31st August 1858. Later it was converted to paraffin, and finally in 1967 to electricity. It became fully automatic in 1988, at which time the clockwork mechanism dating from 1940, that had driven the rotation of the light was replaced, and the original was given to the Shetland Museum in Lerwick where it can be seen today.
The tower is a quite modest 48' (15m) tall, but its 96' elevation gives its light a nominal range of 23 miles. It was built by those ubiquitous Lighthouse engineers, the Stevenson brothers Thomas and David.
The Isle of Bressay lies just off the eastern coast of Mainland, Shetland opposite the capital of Lerwick and effectively protecting that town and its harbour from the excesses of the weather. The sea between the two is the Sound of Bressay, and a regular ferry service plies the short trip between them.
Bressay is quite a large island being about 10.8 miles² (2805 ha) making it the 5th largest of the constituent islands of Shetland after Mainland, Yell, Unst and Fetlar. It has about 400 inhabitants, and some industry mostly the fish processing plant in the northwest of the island.
The highest point on the island is Ward of Bressay which achieves 741' (226m)
