TG1124 : Fern-leaf yarrow (Achillea filipendulina)

taken 12 years ago, near to Salle, Norfolk, Great Britain

Fern-leaf yarrow  (Achillea filipendulina)
Fern-leaf yarrow (Achillea filipendulina)
See > Link for a wider view. Achillea is a genus of about 85 flowering plants in the family Asteraceae, commonly referred to as yarrow. They are very hardy plants that thrive in almost any soil and occur in Europe and temperate areas of Asia. A few grow in North America. These plants typically have frilly, hairy, aromatic leaves and the colour of its flower heads can range from white to pink to yellow. The plant has been used since ancient times for healing wounds and its essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties. When taken internally it increases perspiration and works well for reducing fevers and easing colds. External application is beneficial for wounds, ulcers, and nosebleeds and it is believed to lower blood pressure and to relieve indigestion. Young leaves can be used for greens in salads and other dishes. Its Latin name is derived from the Greek hero Achilles who used the plant to heal his soldiers' wounds during the Trojan War; its use as a remedy for war wounds is reflected in many of its common names such as 'soldier's woundwort'. The common name 'yarrow' is derived from the Anglo-Saxon term 'gearwe' which is believed to mean 'to prepare' or 'to be ready'. Yarrow was also used as a ward against evil, and traditionally it was burned on the eve of St John's Day. Another use was to hang a bundle of yarrow over the doorway or over an infant's cradle on Midsummer's Eve to guarantee good health in the coming year. Druids and the ancient Chinese used it for divination purposes. LinkExternal link

Salle Hall > Link was built in 1761 for Edward Hase; alterations were made in 1862, and east and west service blocks were added in 1910 for Sir Woolmer White. The east wing contains an Orangery > Link. (N. Pevsner & B. Wilson, The Buildings of England, Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East, 2002). Presently, Salle Hall and gardens are part of the Salle Park Estate, owned by Sir John White. Salle Park gardens consist of two sections, one of which being a Georgian style pleasure garden with formal lawns and topiary, rose gardens, specimen trees and shrubs > Link - Link . The walled kitchen garden was created in the 1780s and retains many of the original features.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1124, 156 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 24 August, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 24 August, 2008
Category
Flora   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 113 244 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:46.5481N 1:7.9092E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 113 244
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 42 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register