TF3691 : St Mary, North Cockerington at Alvingham

taken 11 years ago, near to Alvingham, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St Mary, North Cockerington at Alvingham
St Mary, North Cockerington at Alvingham
The church was formerly the chapel of a small Gilbertine Priory which adjoined the parish church of St Adelwold at Alvingham. The Priory was founded as a 'double house' for both monks and nuns in about 1150 and by the Dissolution of the Monasteries when the house was surrendered to the Crown on 29 September 1538 it had a prior and seven canons and a prioress and eleven nuns. It was subsequently given to the village of North Cockerington when their church became derelict.
The simple two cell monastic chapel was extended over time and the current tower dates from a C19th restoration.
The church is now redundant and looked after by the Historic Churches Trust.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Huguet and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF3691, 144 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 3 September, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 7 September, 2008
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 367 913 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:24.0764N 0:3.2975E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 367 913
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 112 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register