NS4863 : Above the entrance of the Russell Institute

taken 14 years ago, near to Paisley, Renfrewshire, Great Britain

Above the entrance of the Russell Institute
Above the entrance of the Russell Institute
This building opened as a clinic for young mothers and children in 1927, and was designed by James Steel Maitland (1887-1982), an architect in the Beaux-Arts tradition; originally from Strone in Argyll, he emigrated to Canada, working in Montreal before returning to Scotland and settling in Paisley.

The bronze sculptures on this building are by Archibald Dawson.

See also NS4863 : Statue on top of the Russell Institute and NS4863 : The Russell Institute.
The Russell Institute
A striking Category A Listed building LinkExternal link at the corner of Causeyside Street and New Street. By local architect James Steel Maitland LinkExternal link .

The Renfrewshire Council website describes the history of the building in some detail. The following is an exract from that web site, which can be found at LinkExternal link .

The Russell Institute in Paisley was designed by Paisley architect J Steel Maitland. It was designed on vertical lines, embellished with monumental sculpture and its windows were framed in imperishable bronze. The building made history as the first building in the west of Scotland to have a skeleton fabric of reinforced concrete.

The building occupies a prominent site on the corner of New Street and Causeyside Street. It opened in 1927 as a child welfare clinic.

Miss Agnes Russell donated the Russell Institute to her home town of Paisley as a memorial to her two bachelor brothers, Robert and Thomas Russell, who died in 1913 and 1920 respectively. She wanted a design that was out of the ordinary and that would provide accommodation for all aspects of child welfare. The accommodation included x-ray, disinfection and laboratory facilities, maternity, orthopaedic and dental clinics, and clinics for the treatment of tuberculosis, and diseases of the ear, nose and throat.

The main doorway is surmounted by a large bronze figure of a mother with children, flanked by two copper shields: one is the Paisley Coat of Arms and the other is the serpent and staff symbol of Aesculapius, god of medicine.

Above the large window is a massive bronze figure of a protective angel guarding the young in its arms, with the motto "A DEO SALUS", or "Health comes from God". Around the building at a lower level are bronze child figures each indicating an aspect of the work of the Institute including dentistry and eye ailments. Inside, the grand entrance hall was decorated with Italian marble.

The formal opening ceremony was performed by HRH Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, on 19th March 1927. She is pictured here with Provost Crawford. The Princess was presented with a golden key designed by the architect, which bore copies of the shields from above the door. Miss Russell was to have been made an honorary burgess of Paisley in recognition of her magnificent gift, but sadly she died in London in June 1926 before the Institute was complete.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4863, 924 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 2 September, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 15 September, 2008
Geographical Context
Health and social services  Historic sites and artefacts 
Architecture (from Tags)
Beaux-Arts 
Architect (from Tags)
James Steel Maitland 
Sculptor (from Tags)
Archibald Dawson 
Category
Architectural detail > Architectural detail   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 483 637 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:50.5553N 4:25.4564W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 483 637
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Sculpture  The Russell Institute 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 275 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register