The Minster church of St John, Beverley :: Shared Description

Grade I listed.

Beverley Minster is one of the finest non-cathedral churches in England.
In medieval times, Beverley was not a small town as it is today, and most of that church was built during that period when Beverley was the 11th largest town in England. The church is built between 1220 and 1400 and was a wealthy collegiate church and centre for pilgrims.
It was founded for monks, but was staffed by a group of priests who also served the surrounding area.

In 1548 the church was suppressed and reduced to the status of a parish church. The fabric was neglected and a lack of funds nearly caused disaster. Since the 18th century there have been several major restorations.

The nave vault is 100 feet high but the chancel and main transepts are much narrower, similar to the Gothic Cathedrals of France. It is stylistically similar to Lincoln Cathedral.

The original church was founded by Bishop John of York who died in 714, although there were probably earlier settlements and churches before that. John was canonised as St John of Beverley in 1037 and his shrine attracted many pilgrims. In 1188 a fire badly damaged the church and in 1213 the central tower collapsed.
The present church is begun in the early English style around the 1220s. Starting from the East End the first Bay of the nave was completed around 1260 and St John's relics were transferred to a new shrine behind the high altar around 1300. The nave was built in an early English style and completed in 1390s, the western towers and north porch were added soon after in the perpendicular style. The central tower was never rebuilt.

When the church was suppressed in 1548 the chapter house was demolished and the fabric became neglected. There were major restorations between 1717 and 1731, and later by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1866 and 1878.
The oldest part of the church is the Norman font, made from marble from County Durham.

The choir stalls were constructed around 1520 and is there are many Misericords with realistic carvings of domestic and farmyard scenes. In the north Quire aisle is a list of the Provosts, Vicars and Organists of the Minster; one name included is Thomas Becket, who later became Archbishop of Canterbury, Saint and Martyr.

The organ is originally by Snetzler, with various additions by Hill, and was rebuilt in 1995 by Wood. It retains more Snezler pipes than any other, with 4 manuals and pedals, and 73 stops.
by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

70 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TA0339 : Window s.20, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Window n.22, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - western towers by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Window s.24, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - tomb of Henry Percy by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - west end by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster by N Chadwick
TA0339 : East window detail, Beverley Minster by J.Hannan-Briggs
TA0339 : East Window, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - West end by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - west door by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - organ by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - west end by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Window s.23, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - ground plan by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - north transept by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Window n.29, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - south transept windows by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Stained glass window, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Window n.21, Beverley Minster by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Beverley Minster - south transept by N Chadwick

... and 45 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 28 Dec 2013, Updated: Sat, 28 Dec 2013

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2013 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register