Salford Museum and Art Gallery :: Shared Description

Salford Museum and Art Gallery, in Peel Park, opened to the public in November 1850 as the Royal Museum and Public Library, was the first "unconditionally free" public library in the United Kingdom LinkExternal link . It is a Grade II listed building (English Heritage List Entry Number: 1386179 LinkExternal link Heritage Gateway)

Although the classic red-brick Victorian building looks like a single building, it was, in fact the result of a series of building projects. Prior to its construction the site was occupied by Lark Hill Place and the gardens that surrounded it. The original house was built beside the River Irwell in 1809 by Colonel James Ackers (LinkExternal link ).

Lark Hill estate and mansion were purchased by Salford Council in 1849 to house the first Royal Museum and Public Library. Over the next few years extensions were added to the house to create more galleries and to accommodate the ever growing numbers of visitors. The north and south galleries, designed by Travis & Mangnall, were added in 1854 and 1856 respectively and the Langworthy wing, designed by Henry Lord, was opened officially on the 14 August 1878. The original Lark Hill house was demolished in 1936 was replaced by a new wing which mirrored the Langworthy wing.

It is, perhaps, surprising that the aesthetic design of the building building shows a remarkable degree of architectural consistency and symmetry despite the fact that the building development was a gradual evolution which was commenced by different architects evolving their ideas at different times over nearly a century of evolution but has, nonetheless, produced such a unified structure.

The building is accepted as the earliest civic building that has influenced the location of other civic buildings in the Crescent area which have developed around it. It is now in the heart of the University of Salford campus, surrounded by civic and educational buildings.
by David Dixon
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

19 images use this description:

SJ8198 : Entrance to Peel Park, Ducie Gates by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Lark Hill Place, The Smithy by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Inside the Tavern, Lark Hill Place by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Queen Victoria, Salford Museum and Art Gallery by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Carriage at Lark Hill Place by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Salford Museum and Art Gallery (Detail) by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Salford Museum and Art Gallery by David Dixon
SJ8298 : A Room at Lark Hill Place by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Lark Hill Place by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Salford Museum and Art Gallery by David Dixon
SJ8298 : War Memorial in Albert Bentley Place by Gerald England
SJ8298 : The Blue Lion Tavern, Lark Hill Place by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Salford Art Gallery by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Peel Park, Salford Museum and Art Gallery by David Dixon
SJ8298 : The Tavern at Lark Hill Place by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Salford Museum and Art Gallery, Peel Park by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Lark Hill Place, Salford by David Dixon
SJ8198 : Ducie Gates Entrance to Peel Park by David Dixon
SJ8298 : Salford, Lark Hill Place by David Dixon


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Mon, 17 Mar 2014, Updated: Mon, 27 Jun 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2014 David Dixon, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register