Shared description
Church of St Andrew, Hasketon
The 11th century: The earliest part of the present church is the nave, where evidence of late Saxon or early Norman work in the layered masonry with which parts of the walls are faced can be found. There is also a little herring-bone masonry in the south wall, where there remains a tiny blocked window of this date. Clearly the core of the nave dates from the period just before or just after the Norman Conquest of 1066.
The late 11th or early 12th century: A little later the round tower was added at the west end of the nave.
The 13th century: The single lancet windows in the north walls of the nave and chancel survive from this period.
c.1300: The round tower was heightened by the addition of its octagonal belfry-stage (later restored with brick) and also received its west window. Some similar windows to those in the belfry-stage were placed in the nave and chancel. The 14th and early 15th centuries: Several of the present windows in the nave and the chancel date from this time; they probably replaced earlier windows like the blocked 11th century one. The north and south doorways are also of 14th century date.
At the Reformation and afterwards, the interior of the church was altered to cater for the new liturgical requirements of the established church. Much of the colour and carvings went, also the stained glass and the rood with its loft and screen.
The year 1844 saw the arrival of Revd Thomas Maude, and it was he who was responsible for the restoration of the church by gradual stages. The font – originally given c.1450 by members of the Brewse family, who owned the manor of Hasketon from the late 13th century until c.1489 – was cleaned and restored shortly after the arrival of Revd Maude, and a small gallery at the west end of the nave was replaced by a carved wooden tower screen. The major restoration took place during the 1860s. In 1863, work was done on the nave, the church was re-roofed, the chancel restored and the vestry added in 1865. The nave received a new set of benches in 1866, and two years later the porch was rebuilt. In 1899, a new bell was given and three others recast.
Today, the building is still in regular use for Christian worship.
Grade II* listed. Link
8 images use this description: (all images taken in 2014)
Shared descriptions
This shared description
The 'Shared Description' text on this page is © copyright 2015 N Chadwick.
Shared descriptions are specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse them on their own images, without restriction.
About shared descriptions
These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images.
For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Explore images
Log in to view extended navigation and 'Explore' links.Other shared descriptions
Descriptions nearby
- Hasketon
- English Round Towered Churches
- Hasketon, Suffolk
- The War Memorials of Norfolk & Suffolk
- River Lark (South Suffolk)
- Village Signs of East Anglia
- Suffolk Village Signs
- Village Halls
- War Memorials
- Listed Buildings and Structures
Related descriptions
- St Thomas Becket church, Greatford
By Julian P Guffogg. Used on 16 images
- Framsden Mill - Suffolk
By Ashley Dace. Used on 2 images
- Exeter Cathedral
By Julian P Guffogg. Used on 60 images
- St Buryan - Church
By Rob Farrow. Used on 10 images
- St Michael, Spurriergate, York
By Julian P Guffogg. Used on 5 images
- Church of All Saints, Brixworth
By Rob Farrow. Used on 27 images
- Mathernock Battery
By Thomas Nugent. Used on 26 images
The above selections are automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions








