St Martin le Grand church, York :: Shared Description

Grade II* listed.

The church dates from the 11th C. although little of this is left. The tower and old part of the church is 15th C.
In mediaeval York, Coney Street was occupied by wealthy merchants, and St Martin's was one of the more important parish churches within the city.
Originally there was a five bay arcade to the south aisle which was converted to the nave after the church was bombed in 1942. The church lay in ruins and was not rededicated until 1968. The original nave and north aisle were left open as a courtyard.
It is dominated by a large 15th C window in the north wall which was originally the great west window. It was removed in 1940 and thus survived the destruction. The window was given in 1437 by Robert Semer, vicar 1425 - 1443. He was also responsible for a major rebuilding of the church.

The south wall of the church survived the destruction, but the north wall is a modern reconstruction and holds various monuments salvaged from the church. One is a monument to Sir William Sheffield who died in 1633. There is also a small brass, an effigy of Christopher Harrington who died in 1614 which was salvaged from the bombed church.
The south wall contains some original mediaeval glass and the east window depicts the church engulfed in flames by Harry stammers from 1968. The 19th century glass is by J.W. Knowles

The organ was built in 1967 and was presented by the people of Germany. This unique instrument is suspended from the ceiling in a glass case.

Outside the church on Coney Street there is a large clock surmounted by a small figure known as the "Little Admiral".

The church is now dedicated to peace and reconciliation.

by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

13 images use this description:

SE6051 : Detail, (3d) St Martin window, St Martin le Grand church, York by J.Hannan-Briggs
SE6051 : St Martin le Grand, York - courtyard  by Stephen Craven
SE6051 : Stained glass window, s.IV, St Martin's le Grand church, York by Julian P Guffogg
SE6051 : Detail, St Martin window, St Martin le Grand, York by Julian P Guffogg
SE6051 : Stained glass window, s.V, St Martin le Grand church, York by Julian P Guffogg
SE6051 : Detail, St Martin window (4e) St Martin le Grand church, York by J.Hannan-Briggs
SE6051 : Organ, St Martin le Grand church, York by Julian P Guffogg
SE6051 : St Martin le Grand church, Coney Street, York by J.Hannan-Briggs
SE6051 : St Martin window, St Martin le Grande church, York by Julian P Guffogg
SE6051 : Interior, St Martin le Grand church, York by J.Hannan-Briggs
SE6051 : East window, St Martin le Grand church, York by Julian P Guffogg
SE6051 : St Martin le Grand, York - tower by Stephen Craven
SE6051 : St Martin le Grand, York - courtyard entrance by Stephen Craven


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 15 Feb 2015, Updated: Sun, 15 Feb 2015

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2015 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register