The market town of Eye :: Shared Description

The market town of Eye, until 1970 the smallest borough in the country, is dominated by its Victorian flint and brick Town Hall, commissioned in 1857 by EB Lamb. The town is built around Eye Castle which is believed to date back to the 11th century. Eye, or 'Eay' is an old Saxon word meaning island and originates from the days when Eye was surrounded by water and could only be reached by boat.

The earliest mention of industry in Eye records that in 1673 many local women worked as lacemakers, with the last lacemaker in the town recorded to have died in 1914. Lace was not the only industry and the County Directories list many other trades and occupations, including blacksmiths, wheelwrights, coopers, clockmakers, tailors, milliners and printers. There also were several slaughterhouses, two breweries, and two retteries for the processing of flax. Iron and brass founders, agricultural implement makers, and church bell frame makers and hangers remained in operation into the 20th century. There was a weekly corn market and a fortnightly cattle market, as well as the normal market days.

Comparatively isolated from other centres of population, Eye was reached by a branch line of the Great Eastern Railway in the late 19th century which linked it with the rest of the rail network. Many of the bricks used for the construction of houses and ornate walls came from Banham's brickworks, since closed, in the nearby village of Hoxne > Link.
by Evelyn Simak
Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

62 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TM1473 : Eye view by Richard Croft
TM1473 : Timberframed house by Eye church by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : The war memorial by the Town Hall in Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Pizza House, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Terraced cottages in Magdalen Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Lacons Brewery ghost sign by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Magdalen Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : The Post Office, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Magdalen Street (road sign), Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Magdalen Street/Broad Street junction, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Laurels Farm Butchers, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Church Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Terraced cottages in Magdalen Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : House in Broad Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Lowgate Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Church Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Terrace in Cross Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Shops in Broad Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : The Queen's Head public house, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : The Guildhall by Richard Croft
TM1473 : Terraced cottage in Cross Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : View along Broad Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Laburnum House, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : House in Broad Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak
TM1473 : Cottages in Broad Street, Eye by Evelyn Simak

... and 37 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Fri, 3 Jul 2015, Updated: Sat, 4 Jul 2015

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2015 Evelyn Simak, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register