The Russell Institute :: Shared Description

A striking Category A Listed building LinkExternal link at the corner of Causeyside Street and New Street. By local architect James Steel Maitland LinkExternal link .

The Renfrewshire Council website describes the history of the building in some detail. The following is an exract from that web site, which can be found at LinkExternal link .

The Russell Institute in Paisley was designed by Paisley architect J Steel Maitland. It was designed on vertical lines, embellished with monumental sculpture and its windows were framed in imperishable bronze. The building made history as the first building in the west of Scotland to have a skeleton fabric of reinforced concrete.

The building occupies a prominent site on the corner of New Street and Causeyside Street. It opened in 1927 as a child welfare clinic.

Miss Agnes Russell donated the Russell Institute to her home town of Paisley as a memorial to her two bachelor brothers, Robert and Thomas Russell, who died in 1913 and 1920 respectively. She wanted a design that was out of the ordinary and that would provide accommodation for all aspects of child welfare. The accommodation included x-ray, disinfection and laboratory facilities, maternity, orthopaedic and dental clinics, and clinics for the treatment of tuberculosis, and diseases of the ear, nose and throat.

The main doorway is surmounted by a large bronze figure of a mother with children, flanked by two copper shields: one is the Paisley Coat of Arms and the other is the serpent and staff symbol of Aesculapius, god of medicine.

Above the large window is a massive bronze figure of a protective angel guarding the young in its arms, with the motto "A DEO SALUS", or "Health comes from God". Around the building at a lower level are bronze child figures each indicating an aspect of the work of the Institute including dentistry and eye ailments. Inside, the grand entrance hall was decorated with Italian marble.

The formal opening ceremony was performed by HRH Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, on 19th March 1927. She is pictured here with Provost Crawford. The Princess was presented with a golden key designed by the architect, which bore copies of the shields from above the door. Miss Russell was to have been made an honorary burgess of Paisley in recognition of her magnificent gift, but sadly she died in London in June 1926 before the Institute was complete.
by Thomas Nugent
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

22 images use this description:

NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute - Rod of Asclepius by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : Causeyside Street by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : Above the entrance of the Russell Institute by Lairich Rig
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute: angel statue by Lairich Rig
NS4863 : The Russell Institute (detail) by Lairich Rig
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : Statue on top of the Russell Institute by Lairich Rig
NS4863 : The Russell Institute by Thomas Nugent
NS4863 : The Russell Institute - Paisley Coat of Arms by Thomas Nugent


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 22 Aug 2015, Updated: Wed, 16 Aug 2017

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2015 Thomas Nugent, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register