Hyde Grammar School/Clarendon Sixth Form College :: Shared Description

The original Hyde Grammar School was founded in 1877 on the corner of Henry Street and Edna Street SJ9494 : Hyde Grammar School 1877. That building became a sheet-metal factory but was demolished in 2018.

The building in Clarendon Road cost £12,000 and was opened as the "New County School" on September 17th 1912, by Sir George Dixon, chairman of the County Council. Large extensions to the building were made and opened in 1929 and at that time the name was changed to the "Hyde Grammar School".

It was originally a mixed (boys and girls) school until the late 1950s. Astley Grammar School (all girls), in Dukinfield, had been built in the mid 1950s receiving its first intake, in about 1956, when the younger girls (11,12,13) from Hyde Grammar transferred to there, also. The older girls (14,15,16) at Hyde, remained there until about 1960 when the last girls (from the Sixth Form) had left.

It was then a boys only school until closing its doors to 11 year olds in 1979. When the last intake had progressed to the Sixth Form, it became Hyde Sixth Form College. It later merged with Ashton Sixth Form college to form Tameside College after which it was known as Hyde Clarendon Sixth Form College.

In 2015 the college closed and students moved to a new college in Ashton under Lyne.

In 2018 all the buildings were demolished to make way for an estate of 3 and 4 bedroom houses under the name Clarendon Woods.

Some old photos of the building can be seen on Old Hyde: LinkExternal link
by Gerald England
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

38 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

SJ9494 : Henry Street by Gerald England
SJ9494 : Rubble of the 1877 Grammar School by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Building work at Clarendon Woods by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Building work at Clarendon Woods by Gerald England
SJ9595 : A last look at the old school by Gerald England
SJ9595 : College moving by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Building work at Clarendon Woods by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Clarendon Road by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Hyde Grammar School: Main Entrance by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Demolition work on Clarendon Road by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Hyde Clarendon Sixth Form College by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Redundant signs by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Clarendon Woods site entrance by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Hyde Clarendon Sports Hall by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Tameside Centre for Performing Arts by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Before and After by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Hyde Grammar School: 1910 Datestone by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Entrance to Clarendon Woods by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Former playing fields by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Former Grammar School awaits its fate by Gerald England
SJ9594 : Ewen Fields from Werneth Low by Gerald England
SJ9494 : Site of the original Hyde Grammar School by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Tameside Centre for Performing Arts (site of) by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Hyde Grammar School by Gerald England
SJ9595 : Hyde Grammar School by Gerald England

... and 13 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 25 Oct 2015, Updated: Tue, 11 Jun 2019

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2015 Gerald England, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register