Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton :: Shared Description

The church consists of nave with aisles, west tower, chancel with attached vestry and organ loft, south aisle transept an south porch. The oldest remains reveal that a church has stood on the site since at least the beginning of the 11th century.

The oldest part of the church, remaining from this period is the fine arch between the tower and the nave; there was clearly a tower at this stage, which would probably have included the entrance to the church.

The church was largely rebuilt in the 13th century, with at least a south, and possibly also a north, aisle, and from this period the lower stages of the tower and the south aisle and porch survive, in early Decorated style.

The church was further improved in the 14th century, in full Decorated style, when the current north aisle was built, together with the large south Aisle transept and the clerestory. The south aisle arcade was rebuilt at this stage so that the nave interior has a unified appearance. The south side clerestory windows show a variety of tracery in curvilinear style of the period. All the aisle windows are of this period. An external feature of this period is the small bellcote on the gable at the east end of the nave which would have held a Sanctus bell. The upper stage of the tower also dates from this period.

The chancel with its extensions on the north side was completely rebuilt in 1861, at which time the south transept was restored.

Most of the internal fittings are 19th century or later but there are a few older items of interest. The font is an interesting accretion, consisting of a bowl formed from a capital of Norman date joined via a 'modern' section to an inverted capital in Early English style. There is also a good selection of wall monuments, some quite ornate, in both chancel and aisles, dating from between 1700 and c.1920. There is also the clock mechanism constructed by Smiths of Derby in 1912. This was replaced as early as the 1930s, but this was damaged later and a modern mechanism installed in the 1980s. The south door dates from 1756 as shown on the small attached plaque.

Also keeping time, as the sun allows, is a sundial on the south face of the tower, reputed to have been the gift of Sir Isaac Newton. The base of the tower incorporates some decorated Saxon stonework from a cross.

The churchyard wall, of 19th century origin, incorporates a memorial lych gate of 1922 and a stile on the northern side which incorporates two Saxon balusters.

The church is Listed Grade I, and is well described in the Victoria County History for the county LinkExternal link
by Alan Murray-Rust
Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

22 images use this description:

SK8816 : East Window, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Stained glass window, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg
SK8816 : Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Organ, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Two-timing tower by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Interior, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by J.Hannan
SK8816 : Stained glass window, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Memorial, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8816 : Font, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton by Julian P Guffogg


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 17 Jan 2016, Updated: Sun, 31 Jan 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2016 Alan Murray-Rust, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register