Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh :: Shared Description

The church consists of a west tower with a simple rectangular nave-cum-chancel.

The tower is the only remaining element of the medieval church, which was completely rebuilt in 1782 by the Earl of Harborough, rector 1743-73. Even of this, only the lower stage is truly original being part 13th and part 14th century, the upper stages having been rebuilt in 1792 although incorporating the original windows. This can be identified by the change of building style, the lowest stage being of coursed rubble and the three upper stages faced in ashlar.

Externally, the nave consists of a simple rectangle of3 bays in Gothic style, battlemented throughout. The windows have tracery in Decorated style but this is a later feature, having only been added at the end of the 19th century to allow stained glass to be installed.

The church is entered through a door in the west face of the tower. A circular lobby was created in the base chamber of the tower during the rebuilding.

From the lobby one enters the nave. This retains its original late 18th century layout essentially unchanged, and reflecting liturgical practice of the period. On either side there are three rising tiers of boxed pews arranged longitudinally. These stop a few feet short of the east end where there is a simple altar on a shallow central dais with communion rail.

The reason for the seating layout only becomes apparent when one turns around to face the west wall. This is largely occupied by a remarkable three stage pulpit. This arrangement explains the seating layout as the congregation needs to be able to face either end of the church at different stages of the service.

The actual pulpit is centrally situated above the entrance doorway, and consists of a projecting hexagonal front with traceried panels, and a complementary niche behind with plain panelling but an ornate canopy with cusped tracery and crocketted finials, very much in the Strawberry Hill style. Below and on either side of the pulpit are the clerk's desk on the south side and the reader's desk on the north side. These also have ornate canopies, this time with ogee arches, but the niches are plastered rather than panelled. Acting as a backdrop to the pulpit is a trompe-l'oeuil painting of a window of Gothic shape but with a grid of small rectangular panes. This probably represents how the other windows would have looked before the insertion of the tracery.

All the internal timberwork was treated with stain and varnish in the 19th century but this was removed in 1970 to return the timber to its natural state.

The ceiling is slightly curved and is plastered with stucco panelling. This includes a triangular symbol of the Holy Trinity at either end, and the shield and crest of the Sherrard family flanking a Royal coat of arms of George III.

Either side of the pulpit and east window are blind Gothic arches containing panels with painted text, the Lord's Prayer and the Creed at the west end and the Ten Commandments at the east end. The oldest feature of the interior can also be found at the east end. This is the painting of the Last Supper forming part of the reredos. This is of Dutch origin, possible from the school of Otto van Veen, and dates from around 1600. Its provenance does not seem to be recorded. The church has two fonts, one an unusual small lead-lined mahogany bowl on a brass bracket that was attached to the communion rail. As the church guide points out, this was “convenient neither for Baptism nor Communion.” It how resides in the north bank of seats, together with a stone font of no particular style carved in 1848 by the then rector.

The church is Listed Grade II*. Much of the information has been taken from the Victoria County History LinkExternal link as well as from the current church guide.
.
by Alan Murray-Rust
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

11 images use this description:

SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust
SK8616 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Teigh by Alan Murray-Rust


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 31 Jan 2016, Updated: Sun, 31 Jan 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2016 Alan Murray-Rust, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register