St Mary's church, Beverley :: Shared Description

Grade I listed

The church, founded in 1120, consists of a central tower, with three bay chancel, a six bay aisled nave with clerestory, south porch, and a north east transept chapel of circa 1280. Externally the church has an embattled parapets and crocketted pinnacles. It is mostly Perpendicular and Decorated.

The church was originally constructed as a rectangular building with nave, central tower and chancel, with a thatched roof. It was originally a Chapel of Ease to the Minster.
The original Norman church was planned on a large scale; the plinths of the external buttresses of the Normal church may be seen at the entrance to St Katherine’s Chapel. The only other visible remains of the Norman building are the interior arch of the door to the South Porch, and the zigzag ornament over the arcade to the North Transept.
Due to fire damage in the Minster in 1188, and the collapse of its tower in 1213, the use of St Mary's expanded. The north transept was added between 1185 and 1200, followed by the south transept between 1212 and 1220. Later on in the 13th century the chancel was extended and a larger nave was constructed. At the end of the 13th century the north chapel and crypt were added. The crypt contains over 200 Masons marks, and was once used as a charmel house.

At the beginning of the 14th century further extension works were undertaken, and again in the mid-14th century, when work began on a new west front. Due to the Black Death there was a shortage of craftsmen and progress was slow. At the end of the 14th century the tower was heightened and the nave extended, adding the clerestory.
In 1520, during a service, the tower collapsed, causing loss of life and damage to the church. The tower and nave were rebuilt and by 1530 the church looked much as it does today.

There have been several restorations, one in the mid 19th century by Pugin, the other in the 1860s by George Gilbert Scott.
The church has a fine selection of Misericords dating from 1445, and the chancel has a unique painted ceiling originally from 1445 with 40 panels depicting the Kings of England.
There are several monuments to the Warton family in the church.

There is only a small piece of medieval stained glass in one of the north windows, most of the windows are 19th century.

The organ is a four manual, originally by Forster and Andrews.

by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

59 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TA0339 : Misericord S8, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Misericord N6, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : North aisle and nave, St Mary's church, Beverley by J.Hannan-Briggs
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Stained glass window s.XV, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Interior, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary - font by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Misericord S13, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Church of St Mary - stained glass windows by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Stained glass window s.XIII, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Stained glass window s.VI, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Church of St Mary - pulpit by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Flying buttresses, Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Stained glass window s.XVI, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Misericord N4, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0339 : Misericord S5, St Mary's church, Beverley by Julian P Guffogg
TA0240 : St Mary's Cemetery, Beverley by Paul Harrop
TA0339 : Church of St Mary - altar by N Chadwick
TA0339 : Church of St Mary - stained glass windows by N Chadwick

... and 34 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Thu, 25 Feb 2016, Updated: Thu, 25 Feb 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2016 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register