The Kinglake Estate, London SE17 :: Shared Description

The estate comprises nine brick-built blocks of flats on each side of Kinglake Street, east of the better-known Aylesbury Estate. Kinglake Estate first appears, complete, on an OS map of 1951, suggesting that it was begun during the late 1940s among the earliest post-war public housing in London.

A map of 1851 shows most of the local streets in place but not always with their modern names. A map of 1875 shows the area consisting of small terrace houses with rear yards or gardens. It is all Newington. York Road has become the modern Bagshot Street. The main artery is Alvey Street running northwest, not the Old Kent Road to the east. On the 1895 map a school has appeared in Surrey Square and King Road has become Kinglake Street. There is little change up to 1938.

By 1951 the big church on Aldridge Street has gone. The whole area is shown as Walworth, a name earlier applied to the small neighbourhood centred on the Walworth Road. Up to 1966 there was still a great deal of terraced housing. Not until the map of 1974-5 does the Aylesbury Estate appear to the west. Surrey Square Park is shown in 1995 where there had been a small group of houses.

The blocks in the Kinglake Estate take the names of places in Kent. They are, on the north side from the east: Swanley House, Hadlow House, Barham House, Bethersden House, Southborough House and Tenterden House. On the south side, from the east they are: Amery House, Keston House and Faversham House. It is remarkable that while the Aylesbury Estate, built 1963-1977, is undergoing regeneration for the next few years, these monumental post-war blocks are still standing and still occupied.
by Robin Stott
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

11 images use this description:

TQ3378 : Faversham House, Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Three blocks of the Kinglake Estate fronting Surrey Square Park, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : West on Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Kinglake Street, Kinglake Estate, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Steel railings, Southborough House frontage, Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Southborough House, Kinglake Estate, Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Entry to Surrey Square Park from Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Rear of Keston House, Kinglake Estate, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Three blocks on the Kinglake Estate, Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Southwest corner of Surrey Square Park, by Kinglake Street, Walworth by Robin Stott
TQ3378 : Name panel in bespoke tiles, Tenterden House, Kinglake Estate, Walworth by Robin Stott


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Updated: Sun, 1 May 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2016 Robin Stott, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register